• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scale shape while maintaining stroke width expression error

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I followed a tutorial on youtube to scale a shape while maintaing a constant stroke width. Tutorial link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bpf_H3vtZ0&t=21s

He uses the expression: 

sf = thisComp.layer("CONTROL").transform.scale[0]/100;

ov = value;

nv = ov / sf

The shapes are tied to a parent null where the transformations are keyframed. 

However, I keep getting an orange pop-up warning me: Screenshot 2020-02-08 at 12.15.38 AM.png

It says: "After Effects warning: Expression Disabled
Error at line 1 in propert 'Stroke Width' of layer 2 ('Circle WERT') in comp 'Charlie.001'.
couldn't turn result into numeric value."

The stroke width is 2px and the scaling value are keyframed at whole numbers, 0 and 100%. In the preview, everything looks fine. 

Any ideas why? Or are there other expressions to try? 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

I would give that tutorial a C-. The explanation is incomplete and the workflow is inefficient. The expression makes no allowance for divide by zero errors. 

Here is the expression I would use for Stroke:

if (hasParent)
{scl = thisLayer.parent.scale[0]/100;
if (scl == 0)
	sv = 1
else
	sv = scl;
value / sv }

else
	value

The layer name if the parent no longer a potential problem, the expression is just looking for a layer with a parent. The first if statement keeps the original stroke

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Expression provided by Mike Abbot in this post -

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/scaling-box-from-left-to-right-maintining-stroke-width/...

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for the response. the expression is for a fixed height and only follows a change in X value. I am looking for something that can be changed with a null because there are many shapes in my shape layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noticed that the expression I used from the tutorial only kicks up an error when the parent scale is keyframed to 0. Any idea how to fix it? Or should I ignore it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was under the impression that Mike's Expression worked by increasing xScale; which was what you were doing too. Anyways, to get by the error when value is 0, set your 0 to 0.01 and see if this helps.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would give that tutorial a C-. The explanation is incomplete and the workflow is inefficient. The expression makes no allowance for divide by zero errors. 

Here is the expression I would use for Stroke:

if (hasParent)
if (scl == 0)
	sv = 1
else
	sv = scl;
value / sv }

else
	value

The layer name if the parent no longer a potential problem, the expression is just looking for a layer with a parent. The first if statement keeps the original stroke value is there is no parent. f there is no parent the original stroke value is retained. The second if statement prevents divide by zero errors and retains the original stroke value if the scale gets to zero. The Stroke value is now modified by the X layer scale no matter what the parent layer is. 

When you get the expression working for one stroke you can copy expression only, type Stroke in the timeline search to show all stroke properties on the layer and then select them all and paste. It will take about 2 seconds and you could have a couple hundred stroked layers tied to the scale of their parent layer and show no errors if there was no parent. The expression is so good that I'm saving it as an animation preset. It's something that I will use once in a while.

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4rn60hlf1je8kj/stroke%20tied%20to%20parent.ffx?dl=0

All you have to do is type Stroke in the timeline search field to reveal all stroke width properties in all shape layers, drag a selection around all of them and then apply the animation preset. Then parent the shape layer to any null and the stroke will remain the same relative size no matter what the scale of the parent layer is. 

I think I'll work on one that ties stroke width to distance from the camera. That will also be useful for some designs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked perfectly! Thanks Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick! 

Many thanks for this preset, this has worked great for everything apart from the animated elements which are already parented to different layers. 

And I'm wondering how to alter the expression to recognize the different parenting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what you mean when you say "And I'm wondering how to alter the expression to recognize the different parenting." The parent's position properties are always in comp space, a child layer can be retrieved relative to comp space by using toComp or toWorld. What are you trying to do?

I would have to see a screenshot with the modified properties of the layers you are having problems with revealed to offer much help. Press 'uu' to show everything you've modified or send a link to a project file and describe your design goals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. For negetive value I have added   || scl<0   in the 2nd if condition. and it worked perfectly.

if (hasParent)
if (scl == 0 || scl<0)
	sv = 1
else
	sv = scl;
value / sv }

else
	value

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

previous did not worked but this one did

if (hasParent)
if (scl == 0 || scl<0)
	sv = 1
else
	sv = Math.abs(scl);
value / sv }

else
	value

for whatever reason Adobe is not letting me delete my previous reply. I have made a mistake on that one.

this one is working though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case neither seems to work, I have a shape and when i connect the shape layer to the null the stroke width turns from 5 px to 0.3. I have a big shape which is scaled in only to smaller stages within the animation. Using the expression above Strokes get squeezed and stretched wich creates a really odd look.

Are there any updates on this topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello everyone! So the day after me having this issue battle axe updated their buttcapper plug in which fixes any stroke widths scaling issues I had! And it's free! 

https://www.battleaxe.co/buttcapper

hope this helps everyone! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines