Highlighted

Scaling Dot Pattern Help

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to mimic two separate motions here from a template of many small dots made from a text layer. I'd like to create the WIDTH and the WEIGHT animations as seen below, but I haven't been able to get the right animation. Is there an expression or effect I can tamper with that I've overlooked? I've tried a Wave Effect for example, but it distorts the individual shape of the circles that I don't want. Thanks in advance for any advice! 

WIDTH.gifPicture1.gif

textDots.PNG

Topics

Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Scaling Dot Pattern Help

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to mimic two separate motions here from a template of many small dots made from a text layer. I'd like to create the WIDTH and the WEIGHT animations as seen below, but I haven't been able to get the right animation. Is there an expression or effect I can tamper with that I've overlooked? I've tried a Wave Effect for example, but it distorts the individual shape of the circles that I don't want. Thanks in advance for any advice! 

WIDTH.gifPicture1.gif

textDots.PNG

Topics

Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Benjamin, just a couple questions to confirm your intent...

For the WIDTH look, is this a good example of the look you're after (vs stretched ovals)?
Clipboard Image.jpg

If so, that might be a challenge to pull off with the text animator. I'd think the WEIGHT one could just be done with some combination of Scale and/or Stroke Weight. 

Or, is the question more about how to get the change itself to wash through the lines of text with the degree of control you're after?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kyle Hamrick thanks for your comment. 

I'm more concerned with how to get the change itself to wash through the lines of dots with some degree of control. And yes, something along the lines of the sample image you gave is what I'd like for the WIDTH look! I've found this to be challenging thus far; since there are so many dots, making that many layers of individual dots crashes the system. It's why I considered a text layer would fare better control with many less layers. But if this is not a good way to go about these animations, is there a better approach you could advise me on? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines