• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Series of Errors when starting up After Effects CC 2018

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone else have this issue on Mac OSX?

When I open up AE 2018.0 15.0.1, the loading image appears and before it disappears I see the following sequence of events:

-A dialog box appears with "After effects warning: Can't write to font cache directory." Upon clicking ok, the dialog box doesn't disappear and gives me a new dialog box with the following:

-"After Effects ( 83 :: 2 ) After Effects error: string memory leak" -- upon clicking ok on that box, it gets replaced with the next one:

-"After Effects can't continue: unexpected failure during application startup"

And then it crashes completely. I don't see the application open at all. Anyone know how I can even begin to fix this error? I have uninstalled, restarted computer, re-signed-into Creative Cloud, etc. I was on OS Sierra when this first began, and since I've tried updating to High Sierra and still nothing's changed.

Any help would be appreciated -- thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Just to make sure you reset your preferences, go to this path: ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/15.0

and temporarily rename or remove it. That will guarantee a fresh set of preferences for Ae.

I don't think fresh preferences will solve the issue, though, as the error explicitly states that Ae can't write to the Font Cache directory. There could be a permissions issue here. Do you have an "Adobe" folder in this location? ~/Library/Caches/Adobe

If not, try creating one. If you do, Get Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Solved! This was the answer: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/ae-2017-or-2018-crashes-on-launch-font-cache-not-font-dictionary/m-p/11035799?page=1#M108506

David, 

I'm having the exact same issue. My problem is that I can't locate the folders you're referring to because I have a bunch of different library folders. I'm not sure what ~ means. I looked at all the library folders and didn't find preferences/adobe/after effecets. I have After Effects CC 2020, with a user library in it. Ev

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can't actually open the app at all so can't access the preferences dialog box within AE. I did try the default preferences reset and that didn't work either.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure you reset your preferences, go to this path: ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/15.0

and temporarily rename or remove it. That will guarantee a fresh set of preferences for Ae.

I don't think fresh preferences will solve the issue, though, as the error explicitly states that Ae can't write to the Font Cache directory. There could be a permissions issue here. Do you have an "Adobe" folder in this location? ~/Library/Caches/Adobe

If not, try creating one. If you do, Get Info on it, change permissions to Read and Write and click the Gear icon at the bottom-left of the window and click "Apply to enclosed items."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I was missing the cache folder. Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Way of doing this on a Windows OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved! This was the answer: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/ae-2017-or-2018-crashes-on-launch-font-cache-not-font-d...

David, 

I'm having the exact same issue. My problem is that I can't locate the folders you're referring to because I have a bunch of different library folders. I'm not sure what ~ means. I looked at all the library folders and didn't find preferences/adobe/after effecets. I have After Effects CC 2020, with a user library in it. Even if I found the correct directory I don't know the exact name of the folder/folder structure I'm supposed to type in. I've also reinstalled after effects, restarted, etc. It's strange to me that it didn't rebuild these folders on startup. Thanks for any help. Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 7.44.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines