Highlighted

Setting Keyframe Time

Contributor ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.I'm new to After Effects. I would like to know if there is a quick way to position a keyframe at a specific time after another keyframe. For example, to place a keyframe exactly 30 seconds after another keyframe without having to manually figure out the when 30 seconds will come next by trying to add in your head and then manually typing in the time. Is there a way to just command it to add 60 seconds or 30 seconds to the next keyframe quickly? Thank you.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Szalam | Adobe Community Professional

You can easily click in the timecode on your timeline and type +3000 (that's 30 seconds and 00 frames) and it'll move forward that amount.

Does that do what you want?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Setting Keyframe Time

Contributor ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.I'm new to After Effects. I would like to know if there is a quick way to position a keyframe at a specific time after another keyframe. For example, to place a keyframe exactly 30 seconds after another keyframe without having to manually figure out the when 30 seconds will come next by trying to add in your head and then manually typing in the time. Is there a way to just command it to add 60 seconds or 30 seconds to the next keyframe quickly? Thank you.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Szalam | Adobe Community Professional

You can easily click in the timecode on your timeline and type +3000 (that's 30 seconds and 00 frames) and it'll move forward that amount.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This solved my problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! Thanks for reporting back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to caution you about making comps that are longer than a few seconds. AE is NOT a video editing app and you should only use AE to create shots, visual effects, and animations that you cannot create in an NLE like Premiere Pro. Trying to edit two or three minutes in AE is heading down a long dark tunnel with very little chance of escape and the bread crumbs you left are being eaten by rats. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask why? I read online that AE was better for animatiion while Premiere was better for video. I'm creating an animated video made up of all icons, vector graphics and text - no video. I thought that would be better in AE. I need to use a lot of Character, Paragraph and shape features/tools.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Szalam LATEST
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE is built for vertical work (that is, lots of layers). Premiere Pro is built for horizontal work (that is, lots of shots along a timeline).

If you need to cut a shot shorter (and ripple edit the rest of the shots), it's way easier to do that in Premiere Pro than it is in After Effects.

I have had AE comps that were minutes long. But that's only because I absolutely couldn't do it any other way and I locked down an edit in Premiere Pro first to make sure timing and everything was rock solid before I went into AE at all.

The best plan of action would be to do each shot as its own composition (if it's animated) and then put them all together afterwards. (Usually in Premiere.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0