Highlighted

Shift Key when dragging shape doesn't make them perfect circle or square

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why but when I'm trying to create a perfect circle shape by pressing the shift key, it keeps doing an oval. Always the same proportion but never a circle.

Any idea why and how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Shift Key when dragging shape doesn't make them perfect circle or square

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why but when I'm trying to create a perfect circle shape by pressing the shift key, it keeps doing an oval. Always the same proportion but never a circle.

Any idea why and how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the Pixel Aspect Ratio of your comp? You can find this by going to Composition > Composition Settings or hitting Cmd/Ctrl+K. In most cases you're going to want to work with Square Pixels (see attached screenshot). I'm guessing your setting is one of the other options.Comp Settings.png

[Please use the "Reply" button under the FIRST POST to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!
This is such a stupid – unexperienced! –mistake I've made... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there!
I am having a similar issue here. When I create a perfect circle/square shape by pressing the shift key it works fine, however, when I try to create the same perfect circle as a mask, it keeps doing an oval, never a circle.  The Pixel Aspect Ratio of my computer is "square pixels" as per the image above. Do you know how I can fix this?

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 12.38.05.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eh, it happens. Don't beat yourself up over it. There's so much to learn about video settings, formats, codecs, etc. that it can take a long time to understand everything. My best advice is when something doesn't work the way you think it should (especially in After Effects), don't assume something is broken. There's probably a very good and technical reason for it. Obviously, that's not to say that there aren't bugs, so always feel free to ask questions and file bug reports and feature requests at the User Voice site, but keep questioning why things are the way they are, rather than just accepting them.

[Please use the "Reply" button under the FIRST POST to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2020 0