• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should I use After Effects & PP or just Premiere Pro (for effects transitions)?

Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I bought a bunch of 1000 transitions and I used them many times in Premiere Pro. However just realized, I got the same pack for After Effects.

My question to expreicned users: From your point of view, is it better/faster/easier to use those transitions in AE and link it to PP or just use those special transitions in PP without touching AE?

TOPICS
Dynamic link , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

After Effects was never designed as a video editing app and it about the worst NLE anyone could design. The only time I would ever use a transition pack like the one you describe in After Effects would be to create that transition between two shots that had some other effect applied to both shots so the transition could not be made in Premiere Pro.

I say this several times a month in this forum, but I'll repeat it once more. More than 90% of my comps are one shot and less than 7 seconds. I nev

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I would stick to PP and only use AE for anything that PP can't do. In your situation AE will only complicate and slow down your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects was never designed as a video editing app and it about the worst NLE anyone could design. The only time I would ever use a transition pack like the one you describe in After Effects would be to create that transition between two shots that had some other effect applied to both shots so the transition could not be made in Premiere Pro.

I say this several times a month in this forum, but I'll repeat it once more. More than 90% of my comps are one shot and less than 7 seconds. I never do anything in AE that I can't do in Premiere Pro. The only reason to bring a shot into AE or create a sequence is to create something that you cannot create in an NLE. Any time a comp gets more complicated than just a few layers and the render time climbs from several frames per second to several seconds per frame I abandon Dynamic Link and render the comp to a suitable visually lossless format, bring the rendered shot into Premiere Pro and drop it just above the original shot. When I use Dynamic link to create an After Effects composition from selected clips, as soon as the comp is created and the project saved, I return to Premiere Pro and undo the action, then I rename the clip and change the color in the timeline so I can quickly find it again when I have rendered the visual effect. Rendering and replacing speeds up the Premiere Pro timeline and prevents problems when the Media Encoder rendering the sequence runs into a 250 layer comp with dozens of GPU accelerated effects that may or may not respond well to background rendering. 

I hope this helps. If you have the drive space and you can organize the pre-sets properly, then sure, install them, but don't plan on using them to edit anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got one more question, so why is so many packs for AE for Seamless Transitions on the market, like those

https://videohive.net/item/handy-seamless-transitions-pack-script/18967340

and many more?

I checked it, and looks there is more for AE than PP. Is there any reason?

I am asking, as doing beginers guides from Adobe for AE, as I thought it may usefull.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines