Highlighted

Should I use RAID 4 instead of RAID 5? RAID 5 OWC Thunderbay issues in After Effects and Premiere

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking into investing in an OWC ThunderBay 4 RAID system with a SoftRaid XT RAID 5 configuration. However, people are warning me that I would need to configure the ThunderBay to RAID 4 because Adobe has issues with RAID 5. 

Is this true? Do I need to use RAID 4 instead? Any other recomendations of Direct-attached Storage systems when using a MAC with Adobe Creative Suite (After Effects, Premiere, etc.)?

Thank you,

Mike

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, FAQ, How to, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Should I use RAID 4 instead of RAID 5? RAID 5 OWC Thunderbay issues in After Effects and Premiere

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking into investing in an OWC ThunderBay 4 RAID system with a SoftRaid XT RAID 5 configuration. However, people are warning me that I would need to configure the ThunderBay to RAID 4 because Adobe has issues with RAID 5. 

Is this true? Do I need to use RAID 4 instead? Any other recomendations of Direct-attached Storage systems when using a MAC with Adobe Creative Suite (After Effects, Premiere, etc.)?

Thank you,

Mike

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, FAQ, How to, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 25, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as the programs are concerned, even a RAID is just a single drive/ volume. Everything else is handled by the driver and the disk controller. I can't see why RAID 4 vs. 5 would make any differtence in such a scenario. That's low-level stuff you don't even notice and clearly you don't plan on installing the actual programs on the RAID where there might be potential issues with the activation system, which is about the only RAID-specific issue I'm aware of. Caches and project storage are simply files that don't require any specific low-level disk features liek the activation system. So whatever Internet hearsay you are referring to is probably not relevant/ applicable.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 2
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Mylenium,

I just saw your reply now. Looks like I missed the notification. Yeah, for some reason, industry professionals have been warning me about issues with Adobe software and a RAID 5 configuration when using an OWC RAID system. Something with file corruption because of the RAID 5 parody. I am using this specifically for post production, primarily with 4K footage. If RAID 4 seems negligible in regards to performance then that seems like the best approach to take based on the feedback I've been getting for this specific situation.

Mike

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0