Highlighted

Slight gap between objects

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding the sub-pixel functionality of After Effects. I noticed that when I make something in Illustrator and import it into AE there is always a slight gap between the shapes in my design. I make sure that everything is aligned properly in Illustrator before importing. This happens with everything I import from Illustrator. Why does this happen? It is a pain having to realign edges again in AE after I spent loads of time doing it in IllustratorScreen Shot 2020-04-20 at 10.14.55 PM.png

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Slight gap between objects

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding the sub-pixel functionality of After Effects. I noticed that when I make something in Illustrator and import it into AE there is always a slight gap between the shapes in my design. I make sure that everything is aligned properly in Illustrator before importing. This happens with everything I import from Illustrator. Why does this happen? It is a pain having to realign edges again in AE after I spent loads of time doing it in IllustratorScreen Shot 2020-04-20 at 10.14.55 PM.png

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator, have you tried looking at the image using the Pixel Preview in Illustrator? does the same happen when you do that? If so, then perhaps switch on the Align to Pixel grid option?

I think AE divides the pixels into 256 - I'm unsure how Illustrator deals with sub-pixel positioning - Monika Gausse may be able to help you with that.

In After Effects Project Settings there is an option for better anti-aliasing of Vector artwork. You may want to explore if switching this on has any effect on the image too?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what angie_taylor wrote,

AE has trouble with overlapping shapes which share the same edge(s). So, if all the visible shapes in your artwork are in fact larger and beneath the other shapes, this might be the root of the issue.

Working pixel perfect in AI is also adviseable.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 1