Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slitscan - how?

Participant ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How would I set about creating the slitscan technique that created this image?

street

The image is borrowed from Martin Dixon, who created a program in Processing. (You can read more at slitcam. com )

I could go the Processing route, but I'd like to hang on to the tools I'm used to in AE, such as to remove the dark bands evident in the pic above.

Maybe someone's already created a script? I know about Slitscan on aecripts, but it's a bit limited.

Many thanks!

TOPICS
Expressions , Resources , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try the Echo effect or any such frame accumulation effect from third-party suites. Similarly, simple time-freezing using tiem-remapping would work. The only real caveat is the quadrizillions of layers and comps you may need since there's no specific effect in AE that would actually create the final image by fetching the individual lines and offsetting them. That, for all intents and purposes, will remain the biggest hurdle, no matter what and is no doubt why the existing script is so limited, too. In any case, to properly do it you'd have to write a whole custom plug-in, so for the time being resorting to external apps would be the best option.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnaks. Well if you're saying that then there's not a lot of hope!

Though you'd think there would be a market for this and somebody would write it. But I guess AE doesn't lend itself to this. A shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a plugin for that: https://aescripts.com/slitscan/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could use the displace time plugin (it ships with AE) and use a gradient as the displacement map.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/time-effects.html#time_displacement_effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines