Exit

Slow audio playback in AE CC 2017

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fil 000 - YouTube

Made a video showing the issue.

Basically the song just becomes slower and slower when it's played back and it really hurts my project since I can't tell if the audio is synced or not.

General info:

MacBook Air

Latest version of AE CC 2017

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

It is getting slower and slower because frames are dropping and it is not playing at realtime even though the timeline bar is green.

I have tried on MAC book pro playing the audio with 120 FPS and faced the same issue because if you open the info panel and than playback the composition it will show that playback is not realtime and frames are dropping.

And if you off the video(eye icon) in the preview panel and than playback..Audio should playback fine.

Try Pre-render from > Main Menu > Compositi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still need help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone still have trouble, try changing your frame rate in Composition>Composition Settings...> to 30. It was the only thing that worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is getting slower and slower because frames are dropping and it is not playing at realtime even though the timeline bar is green.

I have tried on MAC book pro playing the audio with 120 FPS and faced the same issue because if you open the info panel and than playback the composition it will show that playback is not realtime and frames are dropping.

And if you off the video(eye icon) in the preview panel and than playback..Audio should playback fine.

Try Pre-render from > Main Menu > Composition > Pre-render and then playback in your system.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Pre-render from > Main Menu > Composition > Pre-render and then playback in your system.

If I pre-render does it make a file then on my harddrive that takes up space on the Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maxb1758288  wrote

If I pre-render does it make a file then on my harddrive that takes up space on the Mac?

Yes.  So what?  Do you want it to work or not?  If you're whining about storage, guess what?  You need more storage!  Get it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to sound rude.

I just thought RAM preview like on CS6 is easier where you could do it without wasting bunch of storage.

Whining about storage? It actually does cost money and not everyone is fortune to have a good economy so excuse me for asking if I have to waste a bunch of storage everytime I wan't preview my edit with sound.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Max,

Yes Its going to take the space in Storage. Pre-Render and Add to render Queue are also most the same. Difference is in Pre-render it is going to import the output render in project automatically because pre-render output module setting of post-render action is set to  import & Replace. This is mainly used when your working with multiple comps in AE and you have a main composition to merge or use your other comps as pre comps in the master/main composition.

Actually MAC book Air is not made to use After Effects for heavy & complex effects. Because you are working on 120 FPS system RAM is not enough to cache all the Frames during playback.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been on these forums for about a week. So far my biggest takeaway is that Dave is an unhelpful troll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prerender is useless, what if you need to sync audio? this software sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018 year already here, but Adobe still can`t fix bug. I don`t know how it even possible: i-movie can play audio preview - AE can not. Such a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! First of all, thank you for this forum! Got me one step ahead into solving the problem. However, even though I have played the audio in the right speed. My video is not keeping up. Generally saying, The audio is perfectly fine on playback but the video is buffering. I still could not tell whether the video and audio are synced. Can you guys tell me how do you usually work around this? I am doing motion graphics and would like to have these animations synced to the voice over. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened to me and this forum responses didn`t work at all!

The problem is that your preview frame rate is different than your timeline frame rate. When I put my preview FR as my timeline, my audio sounds fine.

Try this first. You do not need to pre-render and take lots of space from your hd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How i do this please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show me how to do this please? I really need your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, your preview rate needs to be the same as the compositon frame rate. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the Preview Panel and select Auto from the Frame Rate Options. If you need to skip frames to get longer playback, you can also get that in the Preview Panel. If the Frame Rate is enclosed in parentheses then the frame rate is set to auto. You should never mess with this setting.

If you cannot find the Preview Panel go to Window/Preview in the menu or press Ctrl/Cmnd + 3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You absolute legend! Been wanting to resolve this for ages! Thank you so much! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very helpful and clear, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT'S THE SOLUTION I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!! 

Genius Observation: Jonathan Santos!

Frame rate has a drop down menu, and it must be the same number as that of your composition. At some point I must have accidentally changed it to 15fps instead of the 25fps in the composition settings.

Thank you for sharing sir!

Ultan

Screen shot:

ultancourtney_0-1610708826043.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone still have trouble, try changing your frame rate in Composition>Composition Settings...> to 30. It was the only thing that worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this and does not work. I even started a fresh new project and only added the audio (mp3) to start with. It plays ok for 2 seconds and then slows down again. With no footage or anything! Just the mp3 alone... Does anyone have other solutions? I just updated the latest version too. Paying Adobe monthly, for a daily dose of frustration, honestly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got this figured out on my system after no luck with any of the suggestions in this thread including the so called previous SOLVED solution with no luck there either. The problem is the Audio Sample Rate in Project Settings under the File menu. The default is 48.000 khz which is too high for real time playback and rarely needed for most projects anyway. Change this to 44.100 which is still a very high quality and that fixed it for me instantly. Also keep in mind that if you move your mouse while playing back, that can also cause the audio to slow down, so change your sample rate and get your hands off your mouse after pressing play and you should be good for perfect playback as long as you buffered the section of your timeline you want to hear in realtime. Also want to say I noticed on a few threads regarding this issue that some people especially some of the older guys are getting snarky with their comments, i.e. "stop whining and buy new hardware" or "you don't understand how AE works, its not meant for realtime". That is BS. In todays world you shouldn't need pro level gear to get something as basic as audio to play in realtime, and YES you most certainly should expect any program to play back your audio without slowing down after you've already buffered it. After Effects is 100% meant for realtime playback for any length of timeline that your system is able to buffer. If you can buffer it, it should play in realtime with no lag. The max buffer time is dependent on your hardware and available cache space. We were all young once and these young guys need better big brothers who remember what its like to learn a new piece of software while doing their best with the gear they have. Hope this helps.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to changing your sample rate you'll still need to Edit > Purge and clear your memory cache often. These steps were not neccesary with previous versions but they are now. Until Adobe fixes this, these steps are working for me. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea how this works for you. I cleared my cache, adjusted all the settings people mentioned.  Someone else who works with Adobe mentioned it's pretty impossible to playback music in After Effects.  Therefore the solution is USING ANOTHER SOFTWARE for the actual mp3/wav sync. He used Premiere. I used FinalCut. This was the only thing that worked smoothly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines