Highlighted

Slow down dancing dissolve...?

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have been testign a few ways to animate a feathered mask. So far my preferred option is a straightforward dancing dissolve blend mode — but I can figure out how I might go about slowing this down?!

Any thoughts much appreciated!

thanks... 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Slow down dancing dissolve...?

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have been testign a few ways to animate a feathered mask. So far my preferred option is a straightforward dancing dissolve blend mode — but I can figure out how I might go about slowing this down?!

Any thoughts much appreciated!

thanks... 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 05, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

insta2 (00070).jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dancing dissolve is a random effect based on the frame rate of the comp. The only way you can slow it down is to slow down the frame rate of the comp, but this won't create a smooth movement, the particles will snap to their new location. You can stop the movement by pre-composing the layer and freezing a frame or slow it down by pre-composing the layer, setting the new comp frame rate to something like 4 fps, and then selecting Preserve Frame Rate when nested or in the render cue in the Advanced tab of Comp settings. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick — trying that now 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worsk well for slowing the 'dance' — but now my problem is that animating the mask from small to large which is my basic transition looks too stepped / clunky... feels liek I probably need to generate a slow dissolving dance thne apply it to the alpha channel somehow?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a Catch 22 happening. A low frame rate is required to slow down the random pattern created by the Dancing Dissolve blend mode, but a high frame rate is required to animate the feathered mask that used to generate the soft edge alpha channel required by the Dancing Dissolve blend mode. 

Personally, I would use a combination of effects to generate that look instead of trying to use the Dancing Dissolve blend mode. If I get a few minutes later this morning I'll see what options I can come up with.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick

In the end I just worked with a slower comp and kept dancing dissolve — you are right that theres a Catch 22 in terms of wanting motion AND slowing down the dissolve...!

I found that the roughen edges filter worked quite well, but doenst have the pleasing 'fizz' of dancing dissolve...

And then I discovered that H264 compression seems to HATE Dancing Dissolve!! Really messes it up, so after all that I went back to a regular mask with feather...!

Image below shows the h264 on the left... right hand frame shows a frmae from a ProRes export

H264mess.jpeg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0