Highlighted

Slow performance on fast machine

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community!

I'm hoping to find some help here since I'm pulling my hair out working with AE. I recently switched from Mac to Windows since I need a really fast machine. According to the AE speed test from Pugetsystems I finally ordered a Windows machine that resulted in scoring a benchmark higher than any other pc on the Pugetsystems list. So far so good....

But for some reason I'm unable to work in a fast and proper way in AE. I create high end cinemagraphs and my work consists of adding multiple 4K video-layers and masking out certain parts. Details are a big thing so I need to preview in full res. I've had the system for a few months now and the speed never really impressed me but nowadays AE struggles even when previewing a single 4K h264 file on full resolution.

So someting is wrong with my sytem or setup. I've done proper research but no luck so far. All my projectfiles are running from a fast m.2 SSD. My video-library for overlays is on a seperate SSD and even my scratchdisc is a seperate SSD m.2.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for the following or has some extra tips for regarding the following:

-Raytracing AE 2019/2020. I was able to manually add my GeForce RTX 2070 for my CUDA. Since raytracing isn't supported in the 2020 version I tried using this in the 2019 version. But without succes. No speed improvement between that and the 2020 version.

-Regarding my memory I sometimes get the notification on startup about my disc cache. Although I set the max on 400GB while running from a 500GB card.

-Is the color working space within the project settings a big thing for speed? Whats the best way to set this up?

I'm in the blind at the moment, all tips are welcome. It's really frustrating to not be able to work properly with such a fast machine. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a proper setup of this machine or a test to see if there is a certain part in my machine that needs improvement?

Thanks!

Michel

Here is my system:

Adobe cloud After Effects latest version.

Processor: Intel i9-9900K

Mainboard: Gigabye Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi

Cooler: Be Quit! Dark Rock Pro 4

Memory: 64GB 4 x 16GB- 3200mhz

Videocard: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming X

Power: Corsair RM750X

Workdisc: Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB

Scratchdisc: Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB

Library: Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB

TOPICS
Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Slow performance on fast machine

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community!

I'm hoping to find some help here since I'm pulling my hair out working with AE. I recently switched from Mac to Windows since I need a really fast machine. According to the AE speed test from Pugetsystems I finally ordered a Windows machine that resulted in scoring a benchmark higher than any other pc on the Pugetsystems list. So far so good....

But for some reason I'm unable to work in a fast and proper way in AE. I create high end cinemagraphs and my work consists of adding multiple 4K video-layers and masking out certain parts. Details are a big thing so I need to preview in full res. I've had the system for a few months now and the speed never really impressed me but nowadays AE struggles even when previewing a single 4K h264 file on full resolution.

So someting is wrong with my sytem or setup. I've done proper research but no luck so far. All my projectfiles are running from a fast m.2 SSD. My video-library for overlays is on a seperate SSD and even my scratchdisc is a seperate SSD m.2.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for the following or has some extra tips for regarding the following:

-Raytracing AE 2019/2020. I was able to manually add my GeForce RTX 2070 for my CUDA. Since raytracing isn't supported in the 2020 version I tried using this in the 2019 version. But without succes. No speed improvement between that and the 2020 version.

-Regarding my memory I sometimes get the notification on startup about my disc cache. Although I set the max on 400GB while running from a 500GB card.

-Is the color working space within the project settings a big thing for speed? Whats the best way to set this up?

I'm in the blind at the moment, all tips are welcome. It's really frustrating to not be able to work properly with such a fast machine. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a proper setup of this machine or a test to see if there is a certain part in my machine that needs improvement?

Thanks!

Michel

Here is my system:

Adobe cloud After Effects latest version.

Processor: Intel i9-9900K

Mainboard: Gigabye Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi

Cooler: Be Quit! Dark Rock Pro 4

Memory: 64GB 4 x 16GB- 3200mhz

Videocard: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming X

Power: Corsair RM750X

Workdisc: Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB

Scratchdisc: Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB

Library: Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB

TOPICS
Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if it works or not. Would you try "Collect Files (File > Dependencies)" if your composition is complicated? You reduce the number of the footages unnecessary.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/footage-items.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your RTX card will never work with AE's Raytrace 3D. They are completely different things and AE uses CUDA 5.5 or so whereas RTX cards use v11 or the upcoming v12. Things simply have moved on even on a physical level with the actual shader architecture and as per NVidia the lowest emulation level those cards would even support is CUDA 7, if I'm not mistaken. So there you have it. This is just a waste of time and will never work.

The memory issues could be simple PCI collisions/ bandwidth issues, but it's impossible to make a certain determination about this. In theory a single PCI lane can support two m.2 at full data rates, but of course someoen not so smart may have hooked up all three drives to the same bus, effectively already limiting transfer rates. That and of course since PCI has become the quasi system bus for everything from memory transfers to audio handling there would be other activities there already, fürther limiting the effectively achievable bandwidth.

The rest sounds perfectly normal with the 2020 version of AE being terrible and the old gag of AE never using more than 4 cores of your CPU due to its architecture. Again, having a graphics card that is not yet specifically supported may also not help, so if at all you may want to spend some time in teh NVidia driver panel and play around with options or even different driver versions. Perhaps dumbing down some stuff and e.g. enforcing OpenGL legacy compatibility modes will fix the hardware acceleration issues for playback at least...

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0