Exit

Slow playback speed

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello creators,

Hope you are doing well.

The main reason of this post is to share with you some dissappointing experience I am having with AE.

The thing is I have been using AE for a while, on a high end laptot, i5, GeForce MX150... it had its limitations and I knew there were things I just couldn't do. Now recently I got a high-end desktop pc, here are the specs:

• Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6Ghz
  • Samsung 860 EVO Basic SSD 1TB SATA3
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 32GB 4x16GB CL16 Negra (total RAM: 64 GB)
  • GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GDDR6

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-13 at 11.22.47.jpeg

Now the thing is that maybe I expected too much from this setup. It goes slow man... I am going to attach to this post the project I am working on, so that you guys can check it out on your setups, if that's OK for you.

I am trying to preview some composition in which there are several shapes moving along randomly using the wiggle formula. I attach a screenshot of the project: Untitled-1

You can see on picture called Untitled-1, that I have wiggle formula applied to the position option, and rotation, in a shape layer that contains 6 shapes, each of them with the same wiggle effect in position and rotation. I hope I made myself clear.

The thing is that with preview resolution donwsampled to half, or even third, it does not preview it in real time, unless I play it for the first time, and playback again, obviusly the RAM memory and cache memory holds all the info in the back. I have more tgan 100 GB dedicated to cache memory btw.

I also attach the projecto so that if you want you can try it out. No license or copyrights applied to what I am sharing here by the way.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gA6hhD52D9luTxekXJ7QKADLNxP4sqNS

Thanks in advance!

Good luck guys!

TOPICS
Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tweak your graphics driver. At this point AE has no specific support or compatibility features for RTX cards. AE is simply leaking all over the place and filling the buffers. Enabling/ disabling specific features and playing around e.g. with the OpneGL emulation in the graphics driver may improve matters drastically.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Mylenium, I'll try that surely.

Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I solo your shape layer I get a preview of from 29.97 (real-time)  for the first four or five seconds then it drops to about 18 to 20 fps until the resources fill up and it loops. It does not make much of a difference when I turn on the AI file and the Adjustment layer. I don't know what would happen if I had access to the PSD file and the movie. I assume this project file is nothing more than a demo of animated shape layers using expressions. I get this on my laptop. That's plenty for me to judge how the action is working. I can even just scrub through the timeline and get a handle on how the action looks. I don't need anymore to let me know if it looks good enough because there is very little control over wiggle animations. 

AE is not an NLE, every frame is analyzed for every pixel, every frame of every movie asset is decoded and reconstructed from a compressed video. The missing source footage is an MP4 so it is going to take longer to turn all those IBP inter-frame compressed mathematically predicted frames into individual pixels than it would if you used an industry-standard production format for the video. 

I don't expect any system to do real-time previews of complex HD or 4K projects in AE, Davinci, or even Premiere Pro in the near future. The sample project you supplied does not present much of a challenge to even a modest system but I don't expect any high-end system to do real-time previews that last more than a few seconds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick_Gerard,

Thanks for your replay. Fair enough.

The video file and the wma file make no difference in this situation, that's why I didn't upload them. The whole point here is the shape layer with those 6 shapes with expressions applied, in this case wiggle effect applied to position and rotation for each shape, that is what causes my PC to not be able to preview the comp in real time. 

I guess that's just how it is and I will have to manage myself to wait a little the first time for it to buffer, and then watch it real time. 

Anyway, thanks for your time!

Greetings from Spain.

Stay safe and take care of yourself guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines