• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart way to reference shape layers for several different instances?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have an icon-chooser-precomp with 20 shape layers in it - each an icon I can call (make opacity = 100) by selecting it from a Drop Down Menu. (It is targeted by their layer ID == Drop Down menu ID.) I can also change color of the icon. This works as a nice array of icons, which I can call in my main comp.

Now, I would like to be able to have more than one instance of my icon-chooser-precomp in my main comp. Say I would like to have 5-10 of them - and each should be uniqe as to the selected icon and color.

Of course, the easy way would be to copy the precomp 10 times. But I have two issues with that - first of all, it would be clutter to have the same data x10. Secondly - when I will update my array of icons, I would have to do this 10 places. It's just not the smart way.

But what is?

In Apple Motion 5 there is a "Clone layer function" - and I belive it does just what I need here - reference a master layer, on which you can tweak some parameters. Does After Effects have someting like this?

Anyone with a smart solution?

TOPICS
Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

You could use master properties from essential graphics. Ukramedia has a nice tutorial on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz_YM0l6AFo&t=286s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah with this set-up you'll need a new comp for each icon change. 

A work around would be to have each icon on for a frame or 2 each, then link you drop menu to a freeze frame time remap. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg1987.

I think I have decided that it is easier to just do the copies afterall. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use master properties from essential graphics. Ukramedia has a nice tutorial on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz_YM0l6AFo&t=286s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow andreip - that is awesome. It is totally what I was looking for!! Except ... I am not able to rig the master properties to an Essential Graphic Rig. Damnit! It was so the solution I was looking for. 

Thanks though! This will come handy another time, I'm sure! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok - Bite me! I made it work!

By just pick whipping the master controls to new effect controls, and placing those iton the Essential Graphics Rig - it works!!! Yei!

Dude - thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines