• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Static Layer Numbers

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to set a layer number as static rather than dynamic. For example, if I have a layer labeled as number 1, can I keep that number for that layer even after adding new layers. In other words, is there a way to always have a layer keep it's position in the layer panel, such as always the first layer, even when adding new labels. Thank you.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

The layer number is fixed. It is called the index and it always starts at the top and moves down.

When you add new layers to the timeline you can drag them above or below any selected layer. If you add a new solid, shape layer, text, null, light, or Camera they will always be added according to your setting in Preferences. The default is that all new layers are created above the selected layer. If you have Layer 3 selected and you add a new Text layer using Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + t or the La

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layer number is fixed. It is called the index and it always starts at the top and moves down.

When you add new layers to the timeline you can drag them above or below any selected layer. If you add a new solid, shape layer, text, null, light, or Camera they will always be added according to your setting in Preferences. The default is that all new layers are created above the selected layer. If you have Layer 3 selected and you add a new Text layer using Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + t or the Layer/New/Text the layer should be added above layer 3 moving layer 3 to the layer 4 position.

I hope this helps a bit. There is no way I know of keeping layer 1 at the top of the timeline no matter what you do with the other layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick and OussK, thank you both for responding.

Rick, I don't see anywhere in preferences where one can change new layer defaults (re placement). I'm on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you're not select any layer in your composition any new layer you will create will be the first layer, so if you want the new layer to be in a specific position, just first select the layer you want in the timeline than create a new text or solid... and the new layer will be above the selected layer 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines