Exit

Stroke effects not showing on path

Contributor ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've drawn a path and am trying to apply a stroke effect like so:

Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 17.12.17.png

But the effect doesn't seem to be showing in my document, see the screengrab of the path itself... notice the red stroke is not visible:

Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 17.12.12.png

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

To Draw a mask on a solid, you must be sure you're solid layer is selected first

image.gif

Also, you can anytime use your existing shape path as a mask

mask1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the effect applied to a mask?  Do you have any blending modes applied?  It's important to show your layer stack and any modified properties.  You're showing us images based on an assumption that YOU know where the problem is.   The problem may be (most likely is) something you didn't think of so that's why you should'nt post cropped pics.  

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blue color and cropped boundaries are a dead giveaway - you created a shape layer path, not a mask path. Effects can only use masks, not shape paths. You need to draw your path on a conventional solid, not a shape layer.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, how would I go about drawing a path on a solid? As each time I use the pen tool, it appears to create a shape layer automatically

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Draw a mask on a solid, you must be sure you're solid layer is selected first

image.gif

Also, you can anytime use your existing shape path as a mask

mask1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I completely forgot I have to have a layer selected in order to draw a mask on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a mask on a shape layer but you have to pay close attention to the Tool Bar and make sure Mask and not Path is selected. If you want a stroked path, a shape layer is going to be more efficient in almost every way than adding the Stroke effect to a mask. The only time I ever use the Stroke effect is when I need a soft or feathered stroke and throwing a blur on a shape layer is more trouble than it's worth.  

When you are having problems with a layer select the layer, press 'uu' to reveal all modified properties on the layer, then post a screenshot of the entire UI. Cropped screenshots are almost completely useless. The only clue to the user error you made by creating a path on a shape layer was the layer name in the Effects Control Panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, please see screengrab below:

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 09.31.34.png

Also if it helps, I'm trying to create a logo reveal animation and part of the tutorial I'm following involves drawing a path and applying a stroke effect to it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines