Stumped - Fill and Stroke controls do not appear when text layer selected.

Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All!

In the middle of a project I created a single letter text layer. When I went to put a stroke on it I could not find the stroke and fill panel that usually just appears at the top of the interface. 

I've tried clicking on the text layer. I've tried double clicking on the text layer. I've tried using the character panel to put a stroke on the text. The character panel lets me choose a color for the stroke but a stroke does not appear. 

I'm completely stumped here. Any help is appreciated. 

Gabe 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Roland Kahlenberg | Adobe Community Professional

Text Layers' Fill and Stroke attributes are found in the Character Panel (CTRL + 6 for its shortcut). The Fill and Stroke properties that at the top are for Shape Layers.

The screengrab below shows the TWO areas to apply a Stroke Color and Stroke Width. HTH

Roland_Kahlenberg_0-1595645636676.png

TOPICS
Error or problem, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Stumped - Fill and Stroke controls do not appear when text layer selected.

Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All!

In the middle of a project I created a single letter text layer. When I went to put a stroke on it I could not find the stroke and fill panel that usually just appears at the top of the interface. 

I've tried clicking on the text layer. I've tried double clicking on the text layer. I've tried using the character panel to put a stroke on the text. The character panel lets me choose a color for the stroke but a stroke does not appear. 

I'm completely stumped here. Any help is appreciated. 

Gabe 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Roland Kahlenberg | Adobe Community Professional

Text Layers' Fill and Stroke attributes are found in the Character Panel (CTRL + 6 for its shortcut). The Fill and Stroke properties that at the top are for Shape Layers.

The screengrab below shows the TWO areas to apply a Stroke Color and Stroke Width. HTH

TOPICS
Error or problem, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital-First Brand Guidelines | Responsive Design Solutions Development | Consulting | Training

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew I had to be missing something completely on the nose. Thanks! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please embed your screenshots:

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 8.48.33 PM.png

You are in the Standard workspace. If you have rearranged things you can double-click Standard and choose to Reset the workspace. The Standard workspace does not include the Character panel. The Default workspace includes Info, Audio, Preview, Effects & Presets, Align, Libraries, Character, Paragraph, Tracker, and Content-Aware fill.  You can always access the Character Panel from the Window Menu. You can also customize which workspaces show up at the top of the UI by choosing Edit Workspaces.  I only show Default, Animation, Effects, Paint, Motion Tracking, and Essential Graphics because these are my most used. Organizing your workspaces is a great time saver. The right workspace simplifies your workflow.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 7.56.42 PM.png

You can also add fill and stroke animators to a text layer in the timeline using the Animate menu that shows up in the Switches column when you expose the text layer properties.

There is more info on workspaces and AE's UI in the User Guide.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very thorough response. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 0