• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Animation - Range Selector - Specific Characters ?

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to avoid specific characters when randomzing character offset ? For example I want to avoid the Number 0 and the letter O from showing up. It would be nice if I could define the character range and choose the characters I want to show up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

TOPICS
Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regular Expressions (REGEX) is the way to go for such a solution. Try googling for a solution as it's outside of my current scope.. Good Luck.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Character offset just shifts the characters by the value. There is no way to tell Character Offset what the starting letter was. 

Source Text expressions do not read the changed values from character offset so there is no way to add an expression to Source Text that looks for 0 and 0 and replaces that with a different letter. 

You have two options. The first is fairly simple. Use a list of random words and make sure none of them have the characters you don't want to see. This oldie but goodie from Dan Ebberts will do the trick, you just have to modify the list of words.

myWords = ["one","two","three","four","five","six","seven","eight","nine","ten"];

seedRandom(index,false);
myIdx = Math.floor(random(myWords.length));
myWords[myIdx]

Put that above a text layer containing the actual final words, then add an opacity animator to each and synchronize the settings so the bad letters disappear as the good ones appear.

The other approach would be to generate a random word list and use a Jason file to step through the list. I like the first option better. All you need is about 10 or 20 different text strings with the same number of characters as your final words in the top layer.

That is the only way I can figure out how to keep specific letters from showing up at random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines