• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text freezes whilst typing - After Effects on macOS

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After effects text is freezing when I type. Freezes randomly, often for about 10-15 seconds. 

I am running version 17.0.6, but this happened on the previous version as well. 

Running Catalina 10.15.4

My computer: 

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019),

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

The computer is only used for Premiere Pro and After Effects. I don't have any other programmes (other than standard mac ones) on it. I have PRAM / SMC reset, Emptied the AE Cache, turned off rulers (this used to cause problems) and a bunch of other stuff which sometimes solves AE Issues. I've also tried typing text in a new AE project which has nothing in it - still happens.

Assigned 56 GB Ram to After Effects, although have tried doing less just in case this is a weird bug.

I'm not expecting a reply but it would be nice. This is one example of a long list of issues I'm having with After Effects, all of which are posted on this forum, and none-of-which have received an answer / suggestion.

Someone else posted this problem a while back, but the topic was shut down for some reason. The reply basically told the user that his very powerful computer was the problem. Go figure.

Title edited by Mod.

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for your issue and previous experience. Would you mind sharing the following details so that we can understand the issue better:

1. Is there a particular font that causes this issue?
  2. Are you using any font utility to sync new fonts on your computer?
  3. Have you tried resetting the preferences of After Effects yet: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-after-effects/td-...

Try validating and removing the fonts with error, check if that brings any change: https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/font-book/fntbk1000/mac

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Thanks for the response. 

Resetting the preferences seems to have worked, although please don't close down the thread yet. Quite often I'll think  a problem is solved & then it will start again the next time I load AE. I'll update you. 

In answer to your questions. 

1. It was all fonts

2. Font utility - Not sure what you mean. Most of my fonts are downloaded & synced automatically from Adobe. I've got about 6 or 7 further fonts which Adobe does not have. These I've just downloaded & added to my apple fonts. 

3. Just reset preferences & it seems to have worked. 

I'm happy to start another thread, but whilst you are looking at this reply - is there a guide to setting up AE & PP with my model of computer. Odd question I know, but I'm wondering whether i've missed something dumb as the computer is extreemly powerful & the performance I get from both programmes is terrible - worse than on my MBP 2017 which i still have (and hence can compare).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines