Highlighted

Text layers cannot be added or edited

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Ae for quite a while and I've never encountered this issue before, but in the middle of my editing some motion graphics, when I edited my text, it would revert back to the original text from before I edited it. When I add text, the text layer immediately disappears (as is shown in the video I've posted). Copy and pasting isn't working, and this problem is persisting across different projects, not just the specific project. 😞

I've already tried clearing my cache, resetting characters and paragraphing (as is shown), updating AE, and resetting all my AE preferences, but nothing seems to work. Is this a bug? I'm really stuck on what to do! 😞

TOPICS
Error or problem, FAQ, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Text layers cannot be added or edited

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Ae for quite a while and I've never encountered this issue before, but in the middle of my editing some motion graphics, when I edited my text, it would revert back to the original text from before I edited it. When I add text, the text layer immediately disappears (as is shown in the video I've posted). Copy and pasting isn't working, and this problem is persisting across different projects, not just the specific project. 😞

I've already tried clearing my cache, resetting characters and paragraphing (as is shown), updating AE, and resetting all my AE preferences, but nothing seems to work. Is this a bug? I'm really stuck on what to do! 😞

TOPICS
Error or problem, FAQ, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 31, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen AE delete a text layer when you click off the layer or change tools. Your screen capture movie is so quick and you don't show us the keystrokes. I don't know what to suggest other than a reboot and checking the memory allocation in Preferences. AE likes multiples of 4GB and other apps should be at least 2 and always an even number.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, sorry about that. Here's a higher quality upload in real-time (the only non-visible keystrokes are me clicking away after I write the text).  I've tried rebooting and changing my memory allocation as well, but there isn't much change.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi potatorini,

Sorry for your issue with After Effects.

Could you share your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS) so that we know what we're working with? Also, are you using any third-party plug-ins? If so, try removing them and see if it brings any change.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

Here are some specs from my Macbook. I still have 30GB of storage left as well.

Screenshot 2020-11-04 at 2.32.02 PM.png

Do let me know if I need to provide information from other sources as well! Thank you for your help. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bizarre.

When was the last time you were able to edit text in AE?

What changed from then to now? AE update? Any other odd issues happening on your machine?

Does this issue ever subside only to come back or has it been like this nonstop since it started?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to edit text a few days ago up till this problem started out of nowhere while I was editing my motion graphics. It wasn't triggered by an update because even after I updated the app to try solving the issue, it persisted 😞 And so far, nothing else strange has been happening on my computer!

Occassionally I find that after I reboot my computer I'm able to type in one layer of text, but the problem immediately starts up again after that and the next layers of text that I type in/edit disappear immediately again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a Font issue. You'll have to spend time to remove all non-system fonts and non-Adobe fonts. Then, add other fonts in groups of 10. Work with each group until the problem occurs again to locate the group with the problem font. Then hone in on these 10 by removing them and then selectively adding them until the problem occurs again. HTH

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0