Highlighted

The best quality frame rate increase using Twixtor

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Increasing the frame rate from 25fps with Twixtor.

Is there any difference in final quality if using "AE or Premier" with Twixtor?

In terms of the software processing divisible numbers, is a choice of 29.97 or 30fps any different?

Thanks

Topics

FAQ, How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

The best quality frame rate increase using Twixtor

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Increasing the frame rate from 25fps with Twixtor.

Is there any difference in final quality if using "AE or Premier" with Twixtor?

In terms of the software processing divisible numbers, is a choice of 29.97 or 30fps any different?

Thanks

Topics

FAQ, How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Guide ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe AE and premiere use the same basic code for interpolation, but in AE, you can use the matte feature to help reduce artifacting if manually using timewarp instead of timeline mode. Also, there is no right or wrong answer because the framerate ratio depends on many factors such as how fast you are panning, what motion is in the frame, how fast the camera is moving in relation to the obect, and how smooth you want the image to be. 

In my testing (aka fiddling) I've found 50-80% the sweet spot for pre-comping, then timestretching the same amount to reverse interpolation.This gives you access to smoother frames while maintaing access to AE's matte feature. If you go this method, it's important to use whole numbers as truncating a fraction may not match everywhere and you may introduce a slight time change.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I see you used timewarp in AE, not Twixtor?

Not up with the Matte feature you mention, doing a google search.

Thanks for the input.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't even notice you were using a plugin, but adobe's and twixtor's are really close in quality. If you look at the comparison videos, I'd almost wager they were from the same original code. I honestly don't know if twixtor would be different in Premiere vs AE but I don't see them changing the core code.

I like using AE's timewarp because you can control how much warping is going on. Twixtor's warp amount is proportional to the output FPS you want, so may be overkill in some instances. And there is a twixtor Pro that supports matte splines for 3d rendering.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: I like using AE's timewarp because you can control how much warping is going on.

Looking at timewarp as well now.

Re: Twixtor's warp amount is proportional to the output FPS you want, so may be overkill in some instances.

I understand the basic statement but lost me when it comes to the software.

I have found some flash video on CreativeCow that explains twixtor Pro, matte and how to reduce warping. ATM these words are a bit chinese, but I will catch up.

Matte Layer: The layer to use as a matte for defining the foreground and background areas of the image. White areas in the matte represent the foreground, black areas represent the background, and gray attenuates between foreground and background.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can render the luma mattes out as separate passes in C4D.

and also manually rotoscope them. Twixtor's warping is controlled by reading the timeline fps and comparing it to the output fps so you can't manually control the warp amount precisely in so much the pixels stretching inside the mattes. also, one thing optical flow can't really do well is 2D things spinning. There's no 3rd dimension in video.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you want to do. Increasing the frame rate speeds up footage. Increase from 24 fps to 48 fps and 10 seconds of realtime becomes 5 seconds of screen time. In this case, every other frame will be used. The only thing you might want to do when you increase the frame rate of a clip is to increase the motion blur. Frame blending will not do much if you want to speed up the motion. You would use Pixel Motion Blur or Force Motion Blur to perfect the clip.

When you talk about 25 fps footage and a 29.97 fps vs 30 fps I assume that you are trying to avoid any frame blending or minimize any frame blending problems. If you want to keep every original frame then all you have to do is change frame rate interpretation of the 25 fps footage to the frame rate of the sequence (Premiere Pro) or the Comp (AE). If your AE comp or your sequence is 29.97, which is the broadcast standard for all countries that use 60Hz power, then changing the frame rate of 25 fps footage to 29.97 fps (or 30 if you want) just means that 30 seconds of real-time will now playback in 25 seconds. The action will be a little faster.

If you need to keep real-time in the original clip then you don't change the frame rate, you pick the best frame blending method. After Effects and Premiere Pro have virtually identical frame blending options. For most shots, Pixel Motion is the best option. Pixel motion calculates the movement of the pixels and does a really good job of figuring out where the edge detail should be in the blended frames. Twixtor Pro has more options and can do a better job, especially when you want to slow down footage. The difference between Twixtor Pro and Pixel Motion is almost indistinguishable in a typical shot, but you may get some improvement in a shot with some really fast motion. Unless you are trying to create some extreme slow-motion where 1 second of real-time becomes 3 seconds or more of screen time, Pixel Motion will do a really good job of creating the extra frames needed for the slow-motion effect. I have Twixtor Pro and I rarely use it unless I need to stretch 1 second of footage to more than 3 or 4 seconds. It's just not worth the rendering time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Conversion from one standard fps to another.

Increasing fps to 30, retaining same length and speed as original.

So 30 frames would need to be reinterpreted and created from the 25 frames.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just put your 25 fps footage in the 30 (or 29.97) fps comp and try different blend modes. Pixel motion is probably going to give you the best result. Pick a section that has a lot of motion, then try the different blend modes. You have to try a few different frames because some of them will line up. Here are screenshots from a previous post:

Screenshot_2020-06-13 23.40.42_ZhGN6K.png

That was some stock footage and the frame showing had the biggest problems. It's pretty easy to find the biggest problems if you turn on Frame Mix.

Like I said, Twixtor, if you monkey with the settings use it properly, might be able to give you a better result, but the Pixel Motion frame in the screenshots looks really good and I don't think one person in 1000 could tell the difference with the video is played back.

Here's the thread. The OP faced a similar problem. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines