• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The best workflow for using from indesign recreating in AE?

Contributor ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about 37 pages of touch screen animation to do. Real simple builds on an exhisting design.

I would like to use text effect so I need to retype the font by putting an image under as a guide.  Also when small type changes arrive it would be nice just to edit it in after effects.

I know you can convert text layers from photoshop to live text in after effects. But I am not sure that the same thing can be done with content originated in indd?

I tried eps files from indd but that seem to split the lines.

I could go down the 'saving layers' route from indesign. But this seems quite a slow workflow.

Thanks

Jools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try exporting the InDesign files as PDF, open them in Illustrator and fix the problems including editing the text.

If you need to edit the text in After Effects try running the AI files through Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just seems like too much messing around.

I think long term if I could encourage the designers to use Photoshop or layered illustrators this would be better.

The fonts are fairly generic so I can re-layout the page.

Thanks for the reply.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you need to edit the text in After Effects try running the AI files through Photoshop."

I would recommend bringing the AI through XD into AE. It's a stronger workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was not aware that XD files would give you editable text in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines