Highlighted

The mask for my sky isn't working correctly???

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am trying to create a day for night scene in After Effects, and I am having a bit of trouble trying to mask in a starry sky. For some reason, the starry sky keeps overlapping over the mountains instead of staying behind the mountain (the picture below shows what I mean. Look at the red circle)after effects mask problem.png

The starry sky also keeps flickering over the mountains as well.

To mask the starry sky behind the mountains, I used the Roto Brush and the Refine Edge tool (to make it less choppy).

I tried feathering the Roto Brush Matt, using and Exctract key, and a Luma Key... but nothing has worked. To be completely honest, I've never done something like this so I'm on unfamiliar ground.

Does anyone know how to mask the stary sky neatly behind the mountains???

I have attached a copy of the file and the assets, along with a video to better show the problem. Here is a link to the folder with the files.

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

The mask for my sky isn't working correctly???

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am trying to create a day for night scene in After Effects, and I am having a bit of trouble trying to mask in a starry sky. For some reason, the starry sky keeps overlapping over the mountains instead of staying behind the mountain (the picture below shows what I mean. Look at the red circle)after effects mask problem.png

The starry sky also keeps flickering over the mountains as well.

To mask the starry sky behind the mountains, I used the Roto Brush and the Refine Edge tool (to make it less choppy).

I tried feathering the Roto Brush Matt, using and Exctract key, and a Luma Key... but nothing has worked. To be completely honest, I've never done something like this so I'm on unfamiliar ground.

Does anyone know how to mask the stary sky neatly behind the mountains???

I have attached a copy of the file and the assets, along with a video to better show the problem. Here is a link to the folder with the files.

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotobrush isn't going to do much with this kind of murky/ foggy footage. Also the footage is very "flat" and kind of blurry to begin with. You may simply need to mask it manually the good old-fashioned way.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I need to roto a scene I usually try and combine a procedural matte and motion tracking or motion stabilizing to the project so that the roto is easier. 

My approach for that shot would be to add the footage to a comp, duplicate the footage, name it stabilized, motion stabilize the stabilized layer using AE's Motion Track/Stabilize Motion/Rotation and Scale picking the farthest point on the road as the first feature region and a plant on the far side of the hill as the second, apply Stabilize Motion to the layer, add a red solid on top of the Stabilized layer and set the blend mode to Overlay so I could easily see through the layer, Draw a mask that cut just short of the sharp edges of the hills and closely followed the outline of the snow-capped mountains, set a mask path keyframe at the first frame, move to the last frame and adjust the mask, move somewhere in the middle and fine-tune the mask path - you'll only need 3 keyframes for the mask, add about 3 or 4 pixels of feather to the mask, Change the solid layer to black and set the blend mode to normal, add Calculations and levels to the stabilized layer to create a high contrast black and white imate, add a null to the timeline, apply this Animation Preset to the null to tie the nulls position to the Anchor Point of the stabilized layer, invert the scale, and invert the rotation, then move to he first frame and Parent the Stabilzed layer and the black solid to the Null so the motion is back in the stabilzed layer and the motion has been added to the black solid, Pre-compose the nul, the black solid and the stabilized layer and name the pre-comp matte.

That gets you here:

Screenshot_2020-07-11 12.01.19_JkdjRI.png

Copy the Null 1 and Stabilzed layer, return to the Main Comp, paste them in the timeline, move them to the bottom of the layer stack, add the Night Sky footage, position and fit it to the frame, parent the Night Sky layer to the Null, Move the Night Sky layer just below the Matte layer, Set the Matte layer as a Luma track matte for the Night sky footage, add color correction to the Footage layer to make it look like night (I used Curves and Hue and Saturation), add a shape layer with a gradient fill from 50% gray to black as a top layer, set the blend mode of the shape layer to overlay and adjust the start and endpoints to darken the snow, add Set Matte to the Shape layer and select the Matte pre-comp as the source. That will get you here, with just 3 keyframes and a few tweaks of the color.

Screenshot_2020-07-11 12.12.36_DbtBUh.png

And here's the flow chart and a Project file, just in case I missed anything. Took me about 15 minutes to get here.

Screenshot_2020-07-11 12.15.00_vResjL.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,

This comment is a bit late. Been busy and it took me a while to get back to this project.

How were you able to have the mask stick to the mountains so well? 

Even after I stabilized it, I had to use like 11 keyframes for the mask path, and it still is shaking a lot (and it still doesn't look too good.

Here's a copy of my latest attempt. I haven't yet color corrected it to look like night yet, just trying to get the mask right. Also, I applied the scale for the Stabilize Motion, which is why I think it's zooming in in a weird way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You forgot to parent the black solid to the null in the Matte comp and you didn't take advantage of the effects added to the stabilized footage. A couple of tweaks to Calculations and Levels and most of the ridgeline is a perfect matte.

Screenshot_2020-07-21 09.41.24_cOV309.png

Once the Black Solid is tied to the null you can use a lot fewer mask points. and get away with about 3 keyframes. You just need to mask out the white below the horizon and track the mountain top. I did it with 3 keyframes and this simple mask.

Screenshot_2020-07-21 09.53.40_6mjdv1.png

The whole reason for the color correction on the footage layer is to create a high contrast black and white mask for the sky. The only reason you need to add the black solid is to take care of the white parts the procedural matte created with the effects could not correct. Tying the black solid to the null takes care of almost all of the movement in the frame. If you could get good tracking points right on the horizon you would not have to animate the mask at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I figured it out!

I do have one other question though. I'm unfamiliar with After Effects presets, and I do not completely understand what the animation preset you provided actually does?

I'm just curious to understand what exactly it's doing so that I can do it in the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The animation preset ties the stabilized layer's anchor point to the Position property of the null, inverts the Scale property, and reverses the Rotation. When you move to the first frame of the motion stabilized layer and parent it to the null it cancels the position, rotation, and scale properties on the stabilized layer (the original footage). If you parent another layer, like the black solid to the null also at the first frame, then the layer is not locked to the position, rotation, and scale values of the tracked feature regions (your trackers). That is why anything you apply to the second layer, like the Mask, will stick to the tracked features and you won't have to add a bunch of keyframes. 

If you select the Null and press UU you can see the expressions. The most complicated one is for scale, Rotation just has a - sign in front of it, and the expression for Position just looks at the animated anchor point that is used to lock the position of the layer to the trackers.

Hope that helps.

I have about 200 custom presets that I created and another couple hundred that I bought to help mem with my work. If I'm doing an explainer video using dynamic text animation (sometimes called Lyric video) or if I am animating images in a slide show or creating a 2.5 D animation (sometimes called the Ken Burns or The Kid Stays in the Picture effect) I may have a couple hundred layers in a project and there will be NO keyframes. Animation presets will move my layers into position and then move them out of frame based on the layer in and out points and the position of the layers before I added the preset. It's a huge timesaver. I can create a 100 layer slide show with random layer times and images the fly in from the right, bounce to a stop, then fall off the screen in about 5 minutes. That's the value of animation presets. If you want to have some fun in another project, download this Fly-In, Bounce to a stop, Drop Out preset, add a half dozen layers to a comp, set different out points for every layer, use the Keyframe Assistant to sequence the layers,  fine-tune the position of each layer, then select them all and apply the preset. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines