Highlighted

Thoughts on i7 8th gen, 16 GB RAM and 2 GB dedicated graphics for AE?

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm changing my laptop and I have shortlisted 2 options. I won't be updating again for the next 3-4 years so I want to get a laptop that'll be good for the next 3-4 years at least and won't give me any trouble with AE animation.

The most resource-intensive work that I will be doing is making animation videos on After Effects. Other than that, nothing I do requires a powerful computer.

Option 1

HP Spectre 15.6 inch 4K

Core i7 8th gen 8550-U

16 GB RAM (cant be upgraded)

2 GB dedicated graphics

Option 2

Dell Latitude 3410 14 inch FHD

Core i7 10th gen 10510-U

32 GB RAM

2 GB dedicated graphics

Because of the 15.6 4K screen, I'm drawn to Spectre but the same time, its got old hardware. And I'm also drawn to Dell because of the better specs, the 10th gen processor and the 32GB RAM which will guarantee me a smooth performance for the next 4 years at least.

So which option would be wise for me to go for? Are the specs of Spectre enough for AE for the next 3-4 years? Or will they not be enough and I should opt for the more higher specs of Dell? 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Thoughts on i7 8th gen, 16 GB RAM and 2 GB dedicated graphics for AE?

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm changing my laptop and I have shortlisted 2 options. I won't be updating again for the next 3-4 years so I want to get a laptop that'll be good for the next 3-4 years at least and won't give me any trouble with AE animation.

The most resource-intensive work that I will be doing is making animation videos on After Effects. Other than that, nothing I do requires a powerful computer.

Option 1

HP Spectre 15.6 inch 4K

Core i7 8th gen 8550-U

16 GB RAM (cant be upgraded)

2 GB dedicated graphics

Option 2

Dell Latitude 3410 14 inch FHD

Core i7 10th gen 10510-U

32 GB RAM

2 GB dedicated graphics

Because of the 15.6 4K screen, I'm drawn to Spectre but the same time, its got old hardware. And I'm also drawn to Dell because of the better specs, the 10th gen processor and the 32GB RAM which will guarantee me a smooth performance for the next 4 years at least.

So which option would be wise for me to go for? Are the specs of Spectre enough for AE for the next 3-4 years? Or will they not be enough and I should opt for the more higher specs of Dell? 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 10, 2020 0
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For AE where most of the time only one or two cores will be used, anyway, it's an utterly irrelevant point whether you have an 8th gen or 10th gen processor. Chances are you will never see either processor maxed out unless you do serious hardcore rendering involving soem 3D-ish plug-in. Your statement about future-proof-nees doesn't hold any water on that end. It really doesn't matter and on a more general level nobody can be sure what requirements newer versions will have a few years down the road. So the only advice can be to get what is the most cost-efficient solution for you, but you may want to spend some time re-reading the gigazillion "How to optimize performance?" Threads here on this forum and elsewhere. It seems to me you have a completely wrong idea in your head now AE even works, no offense. Trying to coerce it to be efficient with hardware could turn into an expensive misinvestment, you know. You have to know how it "ticks" to get the best bang for your buck more than just buying the latest processors and GPUs.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2020 0