Highlighted

Too much data for Sequence_data?

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a plugin that creates a lot of per pixel information (~36 floats), produced by a one-time process, which I think is well beyond an unreasonable amount of RAM to own. 

I'm thinking that the best solution is to store the image/data on disk. I'm also thinking it would be a good idea for this data to have presense in the Project window/on the timeline, rather than risking managing the file through the plugin and the link to the file being lost if the project is transferred to another machine.  

But is this possible without writing an AEIO to handle my own arbitrary/auxiliary format? I had a look at JSON, which seems to be the only arbitrary/auxilary data format that is off-the-shelf compatible with AE. But I'd rather not have to parse lots of text for each frame, as I think this would be worse even than a ton of sequence data. Some image formats seem to support arbitrary channels. But it's not clear that AE will support them. Is AEIO the only robust answer?

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Too much data for Sequence_data?

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a plugin that creates a lot of per pixel information (~36 floats), produced by a one-time process, which I think is well beyond an unreasonable amount of RAM to own. 

I'm thinking that the best solution is to store the image/data on disk. I'm also thinking it would be a good idea for this data to have presense in the Project window/on the timeline, rather than risking managing the file through the plugin and the link to the file being lost if the project is transferred to another machine.  

But is this possible without writing an AEIO to handle my own arbitrary/auxiliary format? I had a look at JSON, which seems to be the only arbitrary/auxilary data format that is off-the-shelf compatible with AE. But I'd rather not have to parse lots of text for each frame, as I think this would be worse even than a ton of sequence data. Some image formats seem to support arbitrary channels. But it's not clear that AE will support them. Is AEIO the only robust answer?

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 21, 2020 0

Have something to add?