Highlighted

Trim Layer In (and Out) Point to Current Time shortcut not working in After Effects 2020 (macOS)

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm running macOS 10.14.5 and After Effects 2020 17.1.1 (Build 34). The Option+[ or ] shortcut to Trim Layer Point to Current Time is simply no longer working. I get a system error chime each time I try to use it. 

The After Effects Deafult keyboard settings current has two operations assgined to the Option+[ or ] shortcut which include Trim Layer Point to Current Time and Set Point (Out or In) of 'Motion Tracker Points' in Layer Panel (See attached screen shot). If I edit out the latter function, the Trim Layer shortcut still does not work. 

If anyone can provide help or advice on how to fix this shortcut I'd grestly appreciate it. This particular shortcut I use frequently and the manual method of trimming layers is very time consuming. 

Thank you for your time and consideration. Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 2.42.31 PM.png

Topics

Error or problem, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Trim Layer In (and Out) Point to Current Time shortcut not working in After Effects 2020 (macOS)

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm running macOS 10.14.5 and After Effects 2020 17.1.1 (Build 34). The Option+[ or ] shortcut to Trim Layer Point to Current Time is simply no longer working. I get a system error chime each time I try to use it. 

The After Effects Deafult keyboard settings current has two operations assgined to the Option+[ or ] shortcut which include Trim Layer Point to Current Time and Set Point (Out or In) of 'Motion Tracker Points' in Layer Panel (See attached screen shot). If I edit out the latter function, the Trim Layer shortcut still does not work. 

If anyone can provide help or advice on how to fix this shortcut I'd grestly appreciate it. This particular shortcut I use frequently and the manual method of trimming layers is very time consuming. 

Thank you for your time and consideration. Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 2.42.31 PM.png

Topics

Error or problem, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to edit the shortcut or did it just stop working when you updated AE? What else has happened to the system recently?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Hello, yes it stopped working with the last three updates. I thought I could edit this shortcut assuming that the multiple functions was the problem. I've never had this issue before sadly. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running OSX 10.14.6 with no problems with 17.1.1, 16.1.3, or 15.1.2. 

What else is running? My only background app is Norton and a VPN server. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically I'm running Photoshop 2020, and Microsoft Teams as I'm currently teaching an online course. I tried quitting everything else but AE and the only thing else that's running is my organization's end point anti-virus app. The problem still persists. It's a system "ding" chime I get when I try to use the shortcut and no other shortcuts I use in AE cause this chime/sound. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at the System Preferences/Keyboard Manager/Shortcuts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just asking the obvious here:  The layer is selected, right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick and Warren! Sorry for the delayed response. So this is very interesting and not sure why I didn't realize this but after some more digging, I found an article from 2015 or so that described this very same issue I was having. Long story short I simply needed to do a PRAM reset and all is well now. I can only assume it was some system conflict but after trying to disable system keyboard shortcuts and every other remedy I could imagine, I never thought to try a PRAM zap. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines