Trouble shooting AE performance

New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Built my first PC this year so please be patient with my beginner knowledge! (Let me know if more specs are needed) 

Basically got the PC working, got adobe installed, and im not sure why im still getting sub par playback performance / rendering. Cinebench is 9006, yet it still seems to struggle with relatively simple projects. 

Opened up task manager to see if I could find an issue and turns out im only using 30% - 50% CPU while running AE / rendering in AME. 

Really not sure what my next steps should be. Pretty sure my drivers are up to date, my AE RAM usage is maxed, and I have 400gb on my NVME drive for storage that I purge frequently. 

Any idea why im only getting 30% - 50% cpu usage? GPU also varies around 10% as well using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA), is that normal as I know AE is not necessarily made for GPU rendering. 

CPU - Ryzen 9 3950x 3.5 GHz 16 core

MEMORY - GSKILL Ripjaws V 32 (2x16GB) ddr4-3600 

GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GB Gaming x Trio 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1tb NVME + Segate BarraCuda 2tb SSD

Also for reference - 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1166809-first-time-pc-build-after-effects-c4d-octane/?tab=comme...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/teejco/saved/#view=cNXYgs

1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the simple answer is, and let me be blunt here, you have wrong expectations because you listened to bad advice. The people on that tech page apparently know very little about how AE works and got your question completely wrong. There's really nothing you can change about it. Yes, AE has limited GPU usage, but to begin with it also only has very limited multithreading/ parallel processing and most of your fancy extra cores just sit there doing nothing. some of it has to do with AE's old architecture and paradigms, some of it is simply inherent to any kind of video processing with regards to temporal consistency, linear progression and all those otehr things that naturally come with chewing through clips and image sequences.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
teejco AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I can look into boosting up the core speed with overclocking? Looks like the 3950 can get up to 4.3 ghz. 

The idea was to get the nicer CPU & graphics card as I eventaully want to transistion to c4d + octance. 

Another question, if im running After Effects, photoshop, illistrator, and media encoder at the same time, are they sharing the same core or is there a way to spread them out to the others? 

Also any idea what Adobe is focusing on in the future for improvements if not multi threading? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines