Highlighted

UI Panel to Change Audio Hardware?

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure this is even possible, but does anyone know how to create a UI Panel to switch between different Audio Hardware preferences? I switch between headphones and speakers quite a bit. Using the pulldown is tedious. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Topics

Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

UI Panel to Change Audio Hardware?

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure this is even possible, but does anyone know how to create a UI Panel to switch between different Audio Hardware preferences? I switch between headphones and speakers quite a bit. Using the pulldown is tedious. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Topics

Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this request. I switch between speakers and headphones at least 5 times a day. Every time I have to go into the After Effects and Premiere preferences to change the default. It's ridiculous!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mind showing/explaining what you are changing (or needs to be changed) in Audio Hardware? This might be just me on MacBook, but I don't see anything that could be configured there. There's only one CoreAudio choice inside Device Class dropdown. The same goes for Default Output - only Built-in Output available. Are you having more options? Do you mind attaching few screenshots?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Macs a lot, and I never had this problem. It's only on Windows PCs that the default audio output hardware needs to be changed every time you plug in or unplug the headphones.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annotation 2020-04-03 155806.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on both my laptop and desktop computers. Neither Premiere nor After Effects has an option for the audio to follow Windows 10's automatic switch from one audio device to another.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Conrad_C LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac at least, one approach is to use Audio MIDI Setup to create an “aggregate audio device” which is a virtual device that can include multiple real audio devices. For example, I have a USB audio mixer, and headphones, and speakers, and which one is in use depends on whether my laptop is mobile or connected at the desk. By creating an aggregate device that includes all those audio devices, and then selecting it in the macOS Sound preference pane, they’re all always “active.” This can reduce or eliminate the number of times that applications complain about missing audio devices, because they only see the selected aggregate device, which does not change. This is much easier than having an audio device switcher panel in each application that you have to work manually, because with an aggregate device you don’t actually have to do anything.

I’m not sure how to do this in Windows, but here are the steps on a Mac:

Combine multiple audio interfaces by creating an Aggregate Device

I created one aggregate input device, and one aggregate output device.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines