Highlighted

Unable to change Rotobrush edge in successive frames

Participant ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to rotobrush an object in some footage. The object is basically round and should be very simple.

I have the edges defined in frame 1. When I move to frame 2, the edges are inaccurate.

Nothing I do, with either the + brush, or - brush will alter the edges of the mask in successive frames. I can paint in the frame to cover 50% of the area and nothing will change with the edges of the roto mask. I've also tried the Refine Edge tool with no effect. 

I've only used the Roto a couple times in the past and never had this problem. 

Thanks.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Unable to change Rotobrush edge in successive frames

Participant ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to rotobrush an object in some footage. The object is basically round and should be very simple.

I have the edges defined in frame 1. When I move to frame 2, the edges are inaccurate.

Nothing I do, with either the + brush, or - brush will alter the edges of the mask in successive frames. I can paint in the frame to cover 50% of the area and nothing will change with the edges of the roto mask. I've also tried the Refine Edge tool with no effect. 

I've only used the Roto a couple times in the past and never had this problem. 

Thanks.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are propagating from one frame to another? What does the footage look like? Where did the footage come from? Are you sure that you have the comp resolution set to full?

The ability of Rotobrush to successfully track edges depends entirely on the footage. Motion blur, lack of contrast, focus, lens flares, similar colors, color, and motion compression artifacts in MP4 files all have an effect on the footage. Sometimes, if you throw some color correction on the footage, then pre-compose moving all attributes, then Rotobrush the pre-comp you can get better results. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the mask won't necessarily track perfectly frame to frame. That's not the issue.

The issue is that I cannot, in successive frames, alter the shape of the mask. Neither the +, nor - brush are working. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating your version of AE to the latest build. There was a bug on some systems that caused the UI to fail. You might also try disabling hardware acceleration.

There are several threads about the brush disappearing. When you said the edges were inaccurate I assumed that there was a propagation error. 

Another possibility may be anti-virus software. There are known instances where it can cause background processes to fail.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest build as far as I'm aware. I get updates via Adobe CC and according to that, I'm up to date.

Yes, a propagation error would likely be it. The outline of the mask didn't accurately follow the object as it moved to successive frames. 

The only AV software I'm using is Windows Defender. I stopped using third-party applications because of the problems they could cause. 

I'll try disabling hardware acceleration tomorrow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling hardware acceleration did nothing. I simply cannot change the boundary of the Rotobrush mask from frame to frame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further on this - I tried a test with a short, 5 frame clip and it worked perfectly. The mask tracked the object perfectly from frame to frame. Froze the comp, saved it, checked in Pr and it was exactly as it should be. 

Tried again with the full clip and it reverted to previous behaviour. The mask isn't tracking accurately and NOTHING I do will allow me to edit the mask in successive frames. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines