• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unexpected Data Type error message shown in AE when using linked sequence in Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am using a linked AE sequence in Premiere, the clip is showing "Media pending" indefinitely in Premiere. When I open the AE project which the linked sequence is in, I am shown the error message "After Effects error: Unexpected data type". This errror message reappears consistently after clicking "ok", until I close my Premiere project. 

After closing my Premiere project, the composition itself in AE plays with no issues. 

I have been using this AE project for almost a year now without issues, but these issues appear to have arisen after some recent updates. I am unable to identify the cause of the issue. 

I am using Windows 10, and I have updated to the latest vesions of Premiere and AE.

Any guidance in helping me identify what may be the cause of the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (2).png

TOPICS
Dynamic link

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi matthewm34307897,

Sorry for your issue!

First of all, can you please share the build number of both apps? https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-find-the-exact-version-of-after-effects-you-...

I'd also want to know how much memory is allocated to Adobe apps. Can you go to Preferences > Memory and share a screenshot? Since you mentioned that After Effects works fine after you close Premiere Pro, I'm curious to know if there is a bottleneck somewhere that's causing both apps to behave unexpectedly when they are open at the same time.

Google Chrome is also known to take a lot of your system resources. Can you quit Chrome along with all its processes and see if that helps the situation?

Let's get to the bottom of this.

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your response, Rameez. I am providing you the information that you are requesting.Build numbers below, and screenshots attached.

AE build: Version 17.0.2 Build 26

Premiere build: Version 14.0.1 Build 71

For further information, this is occuring when using certain AE projects which I have worked with for nearly a year. I have not had any issues using these AE projects and using dynamic link in Premiere to update the text until recently. And now it is consistently causing these issues, and I am unable to use these AE projects as I desire. I now have to bake-in and export from AE instead of entering the text into Premiere, which is causing my workflow to have many more steps.

I hope that I can identify what the issue is so that I can address. Unfortunately the error code is very vague and I am unable to figure out where the issue lies. Memory After Effects.pngMemory Premiere.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adobe I am having the same issue. Please prodivde an update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue! Seems to have happened overnight. I am on a Mac,

Premiere v 14.0.1 Build 71

After Effects v 17.0.2 Build 26

Seems to be affecting all instances of linked AE comps in multiple Premiere projects across several drives. Significantly hampering my workflow, and meaning that if I want to re-export sequences with linked AE comps in them, I have to re-make new AE comps with text baked in and bring them into Premiere which adds many new steps 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that you're running into the same issue, macintrash, and sami22973148.

Is anyone of you willing to share your After Effects project with us along with the Premiere Pro project file (.prproj) so that I can share it with the After Effects team? They will try to find out what's going on.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just the projects? Or do u need media as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Premiere Pro, just the project file. For After Effects, if you can provide a smaller project that has media associated with it.

Additionally, can you answer the following question?

- Is there any error when opening these projects/comps stand-alone in After Effects?

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No error when opening stand-alone in AE... but that doesn't help because it's supposed to be a linked comp 😜

How do we attach the proj files, here or via email or a link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RameezKhan , i echo sami's comments. My stuff plays fine in AE standalone. It's the linkage in premiere that makes it go wonky. I just tried to upload to this post but there is no mechinism to upload an attachment. Can you please give me an email address to send to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rameez, thanks so much for engaging us thus far -- can you please answer our follow up questions on how to provide you project files? I would really love to address this issue, and I thank you so much for engaging with us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so so sorry for not following up, sami22973148 and matthewm34307897. I was out of office due to sickness. I will reach out to you via DM and share my email address.

Again, thank you so much for being so cooperative and willing to help. You're awesome!

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact issue with the recent update of CC using AE 17.0.3 and Premiere 14.0.2 - this new build did fix the previous issue of not being able to update a text in some essential graphics dynamically linked from AE. But this is a new issue with this built apparently. I have been using CC 2019 until this issue is being solved. Thanks for helping us out with this one, Rameez!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem with a very basic project that worked for years now over night it doesn't. Simple lower third with fade in now suddenly has media pending forever in premiere and an "unexpected data type" error when AE is open simultaniously. When Premiere is closed it opens fine.

Win10

PR: 14.0.3

AE: 17.0.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that you're running into the same issue. Can you confirm if this happens when you create a fresh Premiere Pro and After Effects project?

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help, KiXz.

Are you experiencing this issue with projects upgraded from previous versions or with new projects as well?

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same issue. On another thread discussing it:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/after-effects-error-unexpected-data-type/td-p/10903745?...

The poster resolved it by installing AE 17.0.01 (I had the issue is .03 and .02). This retrograde worked for me too. I'm so glad becuase I thought I'd have to re-make 50-ish lower third titles. Of course this is a temporary solution. If it helps to solve it, the AE file it was linked to was using a third party script called Pins and Boxes. But I deleted all of the layers in the AE file, and it still had the issue--I can't imagine everyone using dynamically linked AE files having trouble.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

This issue is still present in the 17.0.5 update. My lower thirds After Effects file won't play in Premiere and in After Effects the file in question has the error message "After Effects error: Unexpected data type"

thanks,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steve,

Thanks SO MUCH for pointing me toward the 17.01 rollback fix. This problem is still present in 17.06. ARRRRGGGH! I was using foul language aloud before finding this thread. I have SO MANY projects affected by this, and had unsuccessfully tried several non-solutions. But now everything is working with Premiere 14.1 (build 116) and AE 17.01. Faith in installing all the latest updates has been shaken, but I am really grateful to have the fix. THANK YOU!!!

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the exact same issue with AE 17.0.6 and PR 13.1.5 I uninstalled and downloaded AE 17.0.1 and it solved my issue. It caused premier to freeze up and I couldnt get passed the error code in ae to fix it. Glad I came across this thread. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines