Highlighted

Use Radio Wave to ripple text/graphic

New Here ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a title on top of some water that is rippling and I'd love the text to be able to respond to it. I've been playing around using the radio wave and caustics, but I can't seem to get it to only affect the text.

Also note:

1. I'm also using a camera tracker so when the camera pans up it leaves the text where it is.

2. The title isn't text, it is an alpha graphic.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.34.29 pm.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Use Radio Wave to ripple text/graphic

New Here ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a title on top of some water that is rippling and I'd love the text to be able to respond to it. I've been playing around using the radio wave and caustics, but I can't seem to get it to only affect the text.

Also note:

1. I'm also using a camera tracker so when the camera pans up it leaves the text where it is.

2. The title isn't text, it is an alpha graphic.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.34.29 pm.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 06, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Distortion effects are 2D, so doing a 3D track gets in the way. As a minimum, you need to pre-compose the camera move with the result being that you may need another conventional 2D track to actually pin down the center of any effects thereafter. Likewise, Radio Waves would require to be used as a displacement map for the actual effect of same name and in order to look correct in your scene this may require its own separate 3D comp matching the camera of the 3D track and/ or the map being moved into place after the fact e.g. with a Corner Pin effect. This is much more complicated than just lumping on a single effect.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably the best way to create the displacement effect for your graphic is to use the Caustics effect. If there are visible ripples in the water in the shot you can use a copy of that layer with some color correction to turn the pond into a displacement map for caustics. If you don't have visible ripples on the pond you can try wave world or even fractal noise to generate the displacement map for Caustics. There is nothing keeping you from applying that distortion to 3D layers attached to surfaces in the shot using Camera Tracking. 

I looked for a really good tutorial on Caustics but only found this one. It demonstrates the basic use of caustics and the creation of displacement maps.  It should get you started.

Before you integrate the caustics workflow into the Camera Tracking it is important that you verify that any movement or reflections on the surface of the water are not fouling up the camera track. Make sure you establish an Origin and Ground Plane and that you are able to attach a solid (because you can't see nulls) that sticks to the surface of the water. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0