• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

v17.5 breaks existing projects 3d space

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing an issue with opening existing projects in v17.5 that worked perfectly in the previous version. It seems the update to 3d tools has changed the way that previous 3d coordinates have been interpreted. I reverted to the previous version of AE for now but I need to find a way to use the v17.5 without it breaking my existing projects.

I have compositions with no camera but rather dozens of 3d layers linked to a null to control rotation like a carousel. Each layer stays forward-facing by multiplying the rotation value of the null by -1 to cancel out each layer's own rotation. This simple method has worked fine for over a decade but completely breaks with v17.5. It breaks in a way that isn't immediately understandable and has my layers facing every which way.

Why release a version of AE that won't be compatible with existing projects by default? I assume this is an oversight or there must be a simple setting to allow v17.5 to interpret 3d layers the same as it has before, I just can't seem to find what that is.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots, exact project info, system info. Nobody can work based on descriptions of invisible elephants.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for checking in. I found the solution.

Auto Orientation: Orient Towards Camera wouldn't work properly if your layer was connected to a null. So, in order to fix this, you could use expressions to subtract null rotation from the rotation of the layer. This would re-orient the layer back towards camera.

Well, with v17.5 they fixed this. So, my issue was my Auto Orientation on each layer was working properly now in addition to my expression 'fix' which made each layer spin around backward rather than face the camera. I simply just needed to either remove my expression or turn my Auto Orientation off.

Hope this helps anyone who stumbles upon a similar issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines