Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very slow GUI response time on a decent machine [17.1.4]

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have After Effects 17.1.4 installed on my computer which I just bought about two weeks ago and it's roughly one year old. Although it's not the best machine in the world, I think it's decent and I was expecting a good experience using After Effects on it. I only work with simple animations, bunch of vectors and text layers - really nothing heavy and demanding.

Sadly what I'm experiencing for the past two weeks while working in After Effects is quite dramatic drops in GUI response time - sometimes even dragging across the timeline takes seconds for AE to deal with and the whole experience is simply laggy, glitchy and unpleasant. And I did everything that is usually being recommended to users to speed up AAE. I do work in Quarter resolution (even on such simple animations) and I store my caches on SSD. I have the GPU acceleration on, I even pre-render more demanding animations to PNG sequences. But I still experience those lags and drops in AE performance.

I am constantly monitoring the work of my CPU and RAM in Task Manager and it really seems that the peaks in CPU usage only reach about 40-50% of its capacity - mostly when previewing stuff. RAM isn't even halfway there too to be full. And surprisingly, whenever I have other programs working in the background (even though most of the time I try to only have AE running and even then the problem shows) then the other programs actually work fine while AE lags.

Also, AE is literally the only program I'm experiencing this on my PC and I use various different software - possibly equally demanding.

My laptop specifications:

CPU:  Intel Core i7-8565U (1.8GHz up to 4.60GHz)

RAM:  32GB (28 of it assigned for AE when running)

GPU: Radeon RX 550X

SSD:  500GB (AAE installed here and the Disk cache)

HDD: 1000GB (Here are the files I'm working with, I tried storing them on SSD too, didn't change a thing)

I came across threads in this forum from years ago from people that have been facing the same problem with much stronger machines and the issue seemed unresolved. I've also seen that some people have been recommending to downgrade to a more stable version of AE. I'm happy to do whatever gives me a better, stable experience without possibly pointlessly upgrading my hardware.

Thank you

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello?

Is anyone going to address this issue?

Still relevant after the latest update. Funny enough, when I do similiar tasks in Premiere Pro it works absolutely fine.

Tried reinstalling After Effects, it seemed to work for a while but after a day or two it's even worse. Cleared cache, inb4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines