Highlighted

VIDEO DEMO: After Effects preview playback stutters, freezes & skips frames. MacBook pro 2019

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried posting this before, but no-one replied. Trying again. See the video below. This problem has basically made AE unusable.  Specs etc & tried so far below the video.

Computer specs: 

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

running the latest version of catalina & after effects, although problem existed on earlier versions of both. 

Did this in 30fps, although I usually work with 24fps. In theory playback should be smother in 30fps so this was to give the programme the benefit of the doubt. 

On the vid, you'll see the preview screen is expanded to 125% or so - this is just so that it's easier to see the problem on the recorded video. It's just as bad in 100%.

64gb ram, with 56 dedicated to AE & nothing else running on the computer.

Tried: 

fast drafts with full amount of texture memory (6132 mb)

Adaptive resolution

Full resolution

turning off / on rulers (this was a fix in other AE versions for similar problems I think)

mucking around with the amount of RAM 

turning off / on pretty much every AE function possible

Deleting all plugins (I only have Motion 3 & lines creator anyway). 

Adding / removing motion blur

viewing at 1/8th of the resolution

turning down bit rate of comps from 16 to 8

re-installing my entire machine from scratch & running this with no other apps on the computer

Turning off wifi, bluetooth mouse & keyboard

having the compuer plugged in / not plugged in

moving the cache folders, clearing the cache folders, increasing cache size to innordinate proportions

Phoning adobe several times

posting on this forum several times

Asking my dog how to fix it, as there's a better chance of a response from her than there is from anyone at Adobe, who clearly don't see this as an issue they have to bother dealing with.

Genuine point. I run a small team of editors / animators. I'm up at 4am dealing with this as it's so severly delayed a project we need to get out of the door (issues with PP as well. don't get me started). We give Adobe around £7k per year, refunding our team for various adobe licenses. The only reason I'm sticking with it, is because some of our clients also use Adobe. However, I'm at the point where I'll simply tell the team that we don't touch Adobe anymore & they need to retrain on other tools in order to keep working with us. I'm sure there will be workarounds for the client issue. 

OK, this is minor for Adobe, but for me to be genuinely considering this is massive. I used to love Adobe products. Now I can't stand them. And this would be a very painful decision to make for our business. I bet I'm one of many business owners / directors thinking the same thing. Ultimately if Adobe keep being complacent creatives will start to make similar decisions - en masse.

Topics

Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

VIDEO DEMO: After Effects preview playback stutters, freezes & skips frames. MacBook pro 2019

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried posting this before, but no-one replied. Trying again. See the video below. This problem has basically made AE unusable.  Specs etc & tried so far below the video.

Computer specs: 

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

running the latest version of catalina & after effects, although problem existed on earlier versions of both. 

Did this in 30fps, although I usually work with 24fps. In theory playback should be smother in 30fps so this was to give the programme the benefit of the doubt. 

On the vid, you'll see the preview screen is expanded to 125% or so - this is just so that it's easier to see the problem on the recorded video. It's just as bad in 100%.

64gb ram, with 56 dedicated to AE & nothing else running on the computer.

Tried: 

fast drafts with full amount of texture memory (6132 mb)

Adaptive resolution

Full resolution

turning off / on rulers (this was a fix in other AE versions for similar problems I think)

mucking around with the amount of RAM 

turning off / on pretty much every AE function possible

Deleting all plugins (I only have Motion 3 & lines creator anyway). 

Adding / removing motion blur

viewing at 1/8th of the resolution

turning down bit rate of comps from 16 to 8

re-installing my entire machine from scratch & running this with no other apps on the computer

Turning off wifi, bluetooth mouse & keyboard

having the compuer plugged in / not plugged in

moving the cache folders, clearing the cache folders, increasing cache size to innordinate proportions

Phoning adobe several times

posting on this forum several times

Asking my dog how to fix it, as there's a better chance of a response from her than there is from anyone at Adobe, who clearly don't see this as an issue they have to bother dealing with.

Genuine point. I run a small team of editors / animators. I'm up at 4am dealing with this as it's so severly delayed a project we need to get out of the door (issues with PP as well. don't get me started). We give Adobe around £7k per year, refunding our team for various adobe licenses. The only reason I'm sticking with it, is because some of our clients also use Adobe. However, I'm at the point where I'll simply tell the team that we don't touch Adobe anymore & they need to retrain on other tools in order to keep working with us. I'm sure there will be workarounds for the client issue. 

OK, this is minor for Adobe, but for me to be genuinely considering this is massive. I used to love Adobe products. Now I can't stand them. And this would be a very painful decision to make for our business. I bet I'm one of many business owners / directors thinking the same thing. Ultimately if Adobe keep being complacent creatives will start to make similar decisions - en masse.

Topics

Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem just might be Catalina. I'm still on Mojave, and I did not upgrade because I was told by several people that Adobe and Catalina don't play well together, yet. I was also told by customer support that they will be releasing a new after effects shortly… 17.1. Hopefully that will be Catalina compatible and perhaps will solve your problem. In the meanwhile, why don't you just roll back to an earlier after effects?

As far as premiere Pro goes… My advice would be to start learning resolve 16.2.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for that. Will try rolling back to an earlier after effects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolved. Installed After Effects 2019. No lag, stutter etc. Works beautifully. 2020 is not compatible with macs - well not mine anyway. 

To Be clear, i'm still running Catalina.

Thanks very much to Allen24. Legend.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very welcome. It seems with every iteration, it's getting worse. Keep using premiere, but start to learn Resolve 16.2.

If Adobe keeps going the way they're going… Nothing will work pretty soon. LOL. Resolve is harder to learn, but it's performance is pretty amazing. Doesn't hurt to know both.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes good point. Will learn resolve!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines