Highlighted

Wacom Intuos failure in After Effects

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a Wacom tablet for 7+ years (first a bamboo, now an Intuos pen & touch) in place of a mouse for all my applications. Just in the past month, when I open After Effects, after about 3-5 minutes of use, I'm no longer able to move the cursor using the pen. If I click down, I am still able to click and drag, and in the Wacom diagnostic tool, everything looks perfectly fine. The problem is, the functionality stops across ALL applications and I can't get it back unless I fully restart the computer. This means once I open After Effects, i must switch to a mouse until I have a chance to fully restart my computer, and then I can't open After Effects without breaking my pen tablet's functionality. 

Tried calling Wacom support and all they had me do was uninstall and reinstall my drivers several times. I tried moving my tablet to another computer (Brand new 2020 Imac, fresh install of the newest AE) and am still having the same issue. Is this a bug? Is my tablet broken? It's not that old, I've only had it for a year or two and it's functionality with every other app I use is completely fine. This only occurs with After Effects.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Topics

Error or problem, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Wacom Intuos failure in After Effects

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a Wacom tablet for 7+ years (first a bamboo, now an Intuos pen & touch) in place of a mouse for all my applications. Just in the past month, when I open After Effects, after about 3-5 minutes of use, I'm no longer able to move the cursor using the pen. If I click down, I am still able to click and drag, and in the Wacom diagnostic tool, everything looks perfectly fine. The problem is, the functionality stops across ALL applications and I can't get it back unless I fully restart the computer. This means once I open After Effects, i must switch to a mouse until I have a chance to fully restart my computer, and then I can't open After Effects without breaking my pen tablet's functionality. 

Tried calling Wacom support and all they had me do was uninstall and reinstall my drivers several times. I tried moving my tablet to another computer (Brand new 2020 Imac, fresh install of the newest AE) and am still having the same issue. Is this a bug? Is my tablet broken? It's not that old, I've only had it for a year or two and it's functionality with every other app I use is completely fine. This only occurs with After Effects.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Topics

Error or problem, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 07, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any actual system info, driver versions, actual configuration and so on nobody can tell you much. Could simply be that it's some odd power saving issue. And since you mentioned a Mac, there is a known issue where certain types of USB devices will stop working after a while due to a bug in OS X itself that allegedly only will be fixed in the october update.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I've had this identical issue on two macs. The first:

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch 2020

3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9

128GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Running MacOS Catalina

Before, I was having the same issue on my laptop:

MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2012

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

16GB 1600MHz DDR3

Running MacOS High Sierra

On both I'm using Wacom's most up to date driver, version 6.3.40-2

This issue ONLY occurs with After Effects. It does not happen under any other circumstances. Every time I launch After Effects, within five minutes, it occurs. It occurred in After Effects v15.1.2, and After Effects v17.1.3. This is a recent phenomenon, and it was fine for years before. I don't think it has anything to do with this Mac issue you mentioned, because the device works fine for any length of time using every other application apart from After Effects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0