• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird edges in my composition..

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've to re-create the animated logo of Audi for one of my school projects. For that, I made the logo in Illustrator and started the composition in After Effects. As of now, I've just added a few simple circles and applied the glow effect to them. But, now, when I see it, I can see some edges in the composition. Can someone tell me why I'm seeing them and how I can get rid of them. I have attached the screenshot of what the edges look like:

Fit to screen:

100%:

100% (transparency grid toggled):

Should I be worried about those edges? I asked because they're not so prominent in transparent background. Also, I'm anyways going to render PNG of these (or maybe TIF) with the alpha channel and later import them into Adobe Animate.

For reference, I'm attaching my current .aep file (CC 2019). Here it is: https://contattafiles.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/tnt3924/sTSSUDT_1QbXmfW/Audi.aep

P.S.: There are not the edges of composition due to scaling and other factors. I'm aware when it happens. I've never faced this issue before.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018
Should I be worried about those edges?

Yes. they are nasty. it seems you have come to some Shape layer limitation with these settings you have applied. I see that layer solids do not exhibit the same behavior. I would recommend you use solid layers with masks instead of shape layers and report this as a bug.

here's a project showing how layer solids with masks are fine.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xOZGXtRpvuuzmMmQ24Xq62lF0G31_Uy-

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe check the effect in the effect controls panel to see if there’s a setting (like repeat edge pixels) i’m Away from my computer or I would look. You also may be able to scale the layer up slightly to get rid of the edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such settings are available for the effect. I am not sure if anything from it is causing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I be worried about those edges?

Yes. they are nasty. it seems you have come to some Shape layer limitation with these settings you have applied. I see that layer solids do not exhibit the same behavior. I would recommend you use solid layers with masks instead of shape layers and report this as a bug.

here's a project showing how layer solids with masks are fine.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xOZGXtRpvuuzmMmQ24Xq62lF0G31_Uy-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fine. Thanks for the workaround.

Just for my knowledge, this is where we post bugs: After Effects: Hot (1129 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps , right? If yes, what category do I put a bug into?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes post it there and share the link here too. I would not worry about category, choose what you think fits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, new problem. For some purposes, I was using the mask feather and then found the same kind of edges again. Just to verify, I checked your file too and it's happening in that too.

Here's a screenshot. Notice the bottom edge.

Here's the modified version of your file: https://contattafiles.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/tnt3924/zgFdFi77wD5fVgK/Glow_Bug.aep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this one actually makes sense, this is because you are scaling your layer and the effect reaches the edges of your solid layer. just make the solid layer as the size of your composition, don't touch position or scale or rotation and simply adjust the mask size and feather the way you like it. Glow_NOBug.aep - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yeah, missed it this time. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

coming back to this thread, pconigs​ examined it further and it seems that in both cases (masks and shapes) there are edges. it has to do with the setting of radius vs intensity that on some level the radius is cropped and does not increase with the intensity. if it is as designed or not we cannot be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info. I hope it's not designed to be that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines