Highlighted

What is the ideal gpu for after effects?

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like, i have an amd gpu. and i'm thinking of buying a nvidia card. (since after effects doesn't support opencl display acceleration or mercury display, if you will)
The info i found was very vague, and all i wanted to know is: if a buy a nvidia high-end card, will my ram preview freeze less?

My friend has 16gb of ram, 760 ti and intel core i5 500k.
His Ram preview freezes a lot with complex comps (with external plugins).
So what gpu to choose? Quadro or RTX?

(I don't care about exporting my comp, i usually use adobe media encoder and i think everyone should too, but that's not the point. All i care about is RAM Preview)
I will use after effects with external plugins to do flat motion graphics and work with 3d models.

People say that after effects is no gpu-accelerated wich i think is a lie '-'.
All i want to know is a good gpu, that will make my ram preview not freeze (or freeze less).

Topics

FAQ, Freeze or hang, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What is the ideal gpu for after effects?

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like, i have an amd gpu. and i'm thinking of buying a nvidia card. (since after effects doesn't support opencl display acceleration or mercury display, if you will)
The info i found was very vague, and all i wanted to know is: if a buy a nvidia high-end card, will my ram preview freeze less?

My friend has 16gb of ram, 760 ti and intel core i5 500k.
His Ram preview freezes a lot with complex comps (with external plugins).
So what gpu to choose? Quadro or RTX?

(I don't care about exporting my comp, i usually use adobe media encoder and i think everyone should too, but that's not the point. All i care about is RAM Preview)
I will use after effects with external plugins to do flat motion graphics and work with 3d models.

People say that after effects is no gpu-accelerated wich i think is a lie '-'.
All i want to know is a good gpu, that will make my ram preview not freeze (or freeze less).

Topics

FAQ, Freeze or hang, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a lie to say AE is not GPU accelerated, but it is true that AE is barely GPU accelerated. Hence none of your considerations matter in any way. Whatever stutters you experience could just happen all over on the most expensive card you can buy if it's not cvonfigured properly or e.g. has sync issues with your monitor. The old rule applies: You cannot enforce/ coerce anything in AE with hardware. It's all about working smart and configuring everything correctly. Whether any external plug-ins would benefit from a better graphics card is entirely a different story and has nothing to do with AE's native OpenGL/ OpenCL/ CUDA usage. Check the vendors' own product pages for pertinent info.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines