What's wrong with my AE? (TERRIBLE performance, program unusable)

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I regularly clear out my cache and make sure I have enough available disk space for AE to theoretically run smoothly, however lately it's gotten so bad that I can't even make a single click, even just to reposition my preview on the timeline, without getting the rainbow wheel of doom. It usually freezes for about 2 minutes on the pinwheel and my computer sounds like it's about to blast into space, but then it chills out and unfreezes eventually. A lot of the time though when this happens, AE will stop responding all together and I'll have to force quit. I know that AE takes a lot of power so I understand freezing/crashing once in a while, but it's gotten to the point where it's completely unusable because the freezing is constant.

Attached are some screenshots of my program/system settings, if anyone has any advice or can see anything that would explain this heavy lag please let me know. I'm pretty slow when it comes to the technical terms and stuff so please explain anything I should do as simply as possible, screenshots appreciated 🙂 

I don't have any other programs open besides AE and Premiere. The only plugin I'm using is Sapphire. Also, I'm literally only editing .pngs, it's not like it's 4k footage so there's really no reason it should be operating this slow. Thank you! 

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 4.43.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-16 at 4.45.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-16 at 4.54.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-16 at 4.54.43 PM.png

TOPICS
Crash, Freeze or hang, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Szalam LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest adding another GB of RAM to the reserved for other applications section. General wisdom is to leave a quarter of your RAM free for things other than Adobe software.

Do you have an active Creative Cloud subscription?

If so, I'd suggest trying the public beta of AE. You can get it from the left column of your CC app.

It installs alongside other versions you may have on there without disturbing them. I've found it actually works a bit better for me than the "shipping" version for many things.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more