Highlighted

When I duplicate a PNG for the 18th time, a black background is added

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm trying to make this logo 3D. I've been struggling with it for ages and just resorted to indexing and duplicating the image multiple times. This has worked before, but today when I duplicated for the 18th time (or over), there was a black background that just appears to be visual but not actually applied to the layer/PNG image.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Alternatively, does anyone know the best way to recreate this image as a 3D image I can use in AE?

Thanks so much.

Correct answer by The Matia | Community Beginner

Ah brill, thank you Martin. I'll try to create this in Blender and see what I can do (emphasis on TRY...!)

EDIT: Extruding seems to have worked in Cinema4D render engine when I've used RGB colours rather than CMYK in illustrator... I don't know if I did anything else differently, but it seems to work.

TOPICS
How to, Preview, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

When I duplicate a PNG for the 18th time, a black background is added

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm trying to make this logo 3D. I've been struggling with it for ages and just resorted to indexing and duplicating the image multiple times. This has worked before, but today when I duplicated for the 18th time (or over), there was a black background that just appears to be visual but not actually applied to the layer/PNG image.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Alternatively, does anyone know the best way to recreate this image as a 3D image I can use in AE?

Thanks so much.

Correct answer by The Matia | Community Beginner

Ah brill, thank you Martin. I'll try to create this in Blender and see what I can do (emphasis on TRY...!)

EDIT: Extruding seems to have worked in Cinema4D render engine when I've used RGB colours rather than CMYK in illustrator... I don't know if I did anything else differently, but it seems to work.

TOPICS
How to, Preview, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After following another guide, I've managed to get rid of the black BG by changing my composition to Classic 3D rendering rather than Cinema 4D.

I'd still love any advice on how to make this logo 3D in the first place! Whether to create the circle and have knock-out text masks.

I'm a massive beginner to AE so any help appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE isn't a 3D software in first place.

You can create a cycle shape and extrude it if you use the Cinema Renderer, but I don't know any way to cut out the letters. Even with a second shape extruded, this won't work.

So actual workflow is to create the logo in 3D, that's why Cinema Lite is installed with AE, and import it as 3D asset into AE. There you can animate a camera or the logo itself to make if rotate.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can stand the render time you can extrude Text and Shape layers when the C4D rendering option is used. If you choose the Classic 3D option you can fake and extrusion simply adding this expression to a 3D layer and duplicating it.

[value[0], value[1], value[2]+ index]

The easiest way to get that going is to add the expression to a single layer, duplicate the layer (Ctrl/Cmnd + d) Select the bottom copy and parent it to the top copy of the layer, then select the bottom copy and duplicate it as many times as you need to get the depth you want. When you are done lock all the child layers and move the extruded layer around in 3D space using the parent (the top copy).

An even better way to create extruded 3D layers is to set up a Classic 3D comp with lights, a camera, and the 3D layers you need for the design, save the comp and then export the comp as a Maxon C4D file that you can drop in your timeline. In C4D lite you can extrude text and shape layers, use images and videos as textures, and have a lot more control over how your scene looks. The more complicated the scene the longer it will take to render but you can do some pretty amazing things if you spend a little time learning how to use C4D Lite. You can do some amazing things if you take it all the way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Rick. I was actually following a reply from you on another post with the index expression.

I'll give your second suggestion a shot as well - thanks for all your replies helping me learn!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2020 0