• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When importing a large number of QuickTimes, my CPU usage spikes, initially causing a kernel panic.

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running After Effects 17.1.2, when importing a large number of MP4 QTs into a new project, the CPU useage spiked to almost 100%, and the first time ended up causing a kernel panic, and rebooted my machine. I've never seen this behavior before. I'm using a Mac Pro (2019), running MacOS Catalina 10.15.6.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried transcoding to your MP4 files to something extremly Mac friendly like Apple ProRes?

Also, are these MP4 inside of a QuickTime wrapper (that is, the file extension is .mov)?  That file type lost suppport when Apple deprecated QuickTime as a system driver for time based media back in 2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm keeping them as MP4s to save space. I'm working on a show that already requires severeal TBs of space (I'm working with EXRs that are about 150MB/frame), so I'm making these low-res QT temp reference files as small as I can to save more space. Making them all ProRes is not an option.  The extensions are all '.mp4'.

It was just surprising and made me uneasy that I've been using After Effects since version 3.0, and have never gotten a kernel panic doing something as simple as importing files. Crashing I can handle - a kernel panic casuing an immediate shut down of my machine that can cause corrupt files - that's not good.

The first 10 or so load quickly, and then all the ones after that load really slowly, and my CPU usage spikes. If it's an issue of compression - I don't know why the first ones load quickly with no spike in my CPU, and the later ones, do. That's why I think it's a bug in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines