Highlighted

When video plays, After Effects freezes

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got After Effects 2020 and when I preview my comp, it will play, but AE will freeze. I can't stop it unless I force close it. I can also close the window and it will give me the option to save my changes or cancel. I can press cancel and it will stop playing, but when I play it again, it will do it all over again. I am working on a EVOO Ultra Thin (11.6).

These are my preview settings: 

image.jpg

Any solution you have will be helpful, thanks 🙂

TOPICS
Audio, Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

When video plays, After Effects freezes

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got After Effects 2020 and when I preview my comp, it will play, but AE will freeze. I can't stop it unless I force close it. I can also close the window and it will give me the option to save my changes or cancel. I can press cancel and it will stop playing, but when I play it again, it will do it all over again. I am working on a EVOO Ultra Thin (11.6).

These are my preview settings: 

image.jpg

Any solution you have will be helpful, thanks 🙂

TOPICS
Audio, Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 13, 2020 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you delete cache and have a try?

Edit > Purge

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this before and it didn't work. I just tried it again and it still didn't work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2020 0
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure about your PC specification. Does your PC meet the minimum requirement?

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/system-requirements.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my laptop meets the requirements.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020 0
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you turn off "Cache Before Playback" option and try to play?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi so i'm having the same issue and i don't have the cache before playback on at all. i made a new composition and tried just playing it without anything in the composition and it freezes. i have to shut it down everytime i hit play. my laptop meets all the requirements as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have also don't edit > purge and that didn't work... neither did uninstalling and reinstalling 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem, this is the only place I can find that addressess it. I have tried everything recomended but nothing has worked so far. It's been making my projects so frustrating to work on. I now have to work on a final project without the ability to play the video, which is such a huge road block. I hope we can find a solution soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue and have tried purging my cache to no avail.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm  also having the same problem I last used AE a couple of weeks ago and in that time had a few window updates so wondered if that was the problem. It is happening on new projects and old, I have tried rolling back to previous version of AE and reinstalling the most recent. So far nothing has worked. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having the same issue thought I'd come up with a solution changing the loop on the play preview but whatever I did didnt stick and the problem was happening again the next day. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue as well. did you get it rectified?  I have no solutions whatsoever 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yes still having the same problem, I tried a number of suggested solutions nothing I've done seems to be making a difference. I thought I'd found a solution as the problem stopped but when I logged out then back into my computer it started happening again. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try clicking the box "If caching, play cache frames"

I thought my AE was freezing but the spacebar was technically turned off. So everytime I hit space nothing happened. I couldn't even click anything else. Weird. But it now works. I re-installed and cleared my cache so many times. And all it was, was checking that box 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also make sure your framerate is matching your video. Mine was one 120fps when I shot in 24fps. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that worked for me! - sorry correction it worked at first and now still have it ticked and no longer working. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2020 0