• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is the slow After Effects Bottleneck?

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am struggling with After Effects CC 2017 for long time and it is getting unbearable for me.
I do understand there are things which take time to process and render (mainly some VFX applied to video footage and complex sequences). I experience AE being more than very slow in general. I have a feeling like the AE CS6 was faster, but it can be just my selective memory...

So here are two of my doubts they are driving me crazy.
1. If I have just a simple sequence with few vector elements (basically one text, one line and one rectangle on a clean background -no video footage!-) i would expect it to be handled much swifter by AE.
2. As I said. I understand AE needs to do its computing and things take time. OK. BUT why it does not use all of the available resources to do it?!
Here is screenshot of my AME rendering a portion of AE sequence. Don't get fooed by the preview image. Only moving thing is the bubbles... everything else is static. ...all the graphics are vector layers. No video nor raster image footage (not the same project as in point 1).

(Resource monitor on the left, GPU monitor on the right)
5 minutes of plain 2D vector animation expected to render in around 3hours.

As you can see, barely 20% of my CPU is being used, 0% of my GPU, almost no RAM is used, DIsk is measuring at around 1MB/s and network at 100kbps (I know my HDD and network have top of their performance way more up than this ).

Other CC programs do fairly well as expected. If PP renders something, all the graphs go up to the max, all the fans run like crazy and the result is blazingly fast.
Photoshop, Illustrator and others perform as expected (within my computer category).

So my question is... WHERE is the bottleneck? What can I do to AE take advantage of my hardware?

My system:
Windows7 Prfessional 64-bit

CPU Intel i7 4770 (8x 3,4 GHz)

RAM 16GB (dual-channel Kingston

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760, 4GB DDR5
Disks: Primary: Samsung SSD EVO 840, 250GB - OS and Programs
          Secondary: Seagate 2TB 7200rpm SATA3 - video footage source

Export goes to another internal 7200rpm Toshiba HDD to not interfere with the source material storage disk performance.

AE CC 2017 v14.2.1.34
PP CC 2017 v11.0
AME CC 2017 v11.1.2.35

I know it is not some killer setup, but as I said: To do some simple 1080p H264 editing in PP and adding on top of that a stupid vector rectangle with text from AE it is enough, not?

Hope someone can give me an answer.
Thanks for your time.

Martin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

AE has never worked any differently - there simply is no way to make it use al lresources to the max. The massive slowdowns in CC 2017 on the other hand are simply bugs plus of course it doesn't make any sense at all to directly encode a multi-pass VBR file from AE. Caching the first render pass alone can take forever due to extensive disk activity. Simply render an uncompressed file/ image sequence directly from AE and encode it later. That way you also avoid having to re-render everything al l

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AE has never worked any differently - there simply is no way to make it use al lresources to the max. The massive slowdowns in CC 2017 on the other hand are simply bugs plus of course it doesn't make any sense at all to directly encode a multi-pass VBR file from AE. Caching the first render pass alone can take forever due to extensive disk activity. Simply render an uncompressed file/ image sequence directly from AE and encode it later. That way you also avoid having to re-render everything al lthe time if something goes wrong.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines