• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does lowering exposure not produce true black?

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a technique I used in a previous part of my project (recreate a tv intro) and to my eyes it looked fine in the preview window. In this case I took a grey and black illustrator group of three layers with a transparent background and lowered its exposure from 0 to -22 but I can still see lighter grey lines where the black and grey meet. I sandwiched a black shape with four square "holes" above a the charactor layers and then a grey layer below that. Since my goal is to turn those charactor layers completley black and still be moving slightly, I could get true black if I added another black layer from illustrator and copied the positional data from the layers already there but I wanted to see if I had other options before doubling the amount of layers. Perhaps there is no error and it's just a preview glitch. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export , Performance , Preview , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For clearify what it going on, can you please upload screenshots of your composition and the preview outcome.

The GIF is to small so evalidate anything, also GIF reduces colors during creation.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exposure is not linear. That's an unsuitable way to produce blacks. That's all there is. Even if you reduce it by say -10 stops, a dark grey will still have something like 0.0005 % "light". that's the whole point. It's modeled after genuine photographic behavior with an underlying curve function. Either animate the individual colro shapes separately or use something like Hue/ Saturation to darken everything or Tritone etc. to re-colorize your artwork dynamically with animated parameters.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, you should check your color management settings. If in doubt and you don't understand color Management between apps, just turn off color management in the Project settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines