Highlighted

Why does my sun disappear?

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm new to After Effects (1 week into learning it). I'm seeing some strange behaviour I can't explain. When I make my sun into a 3d object it disappears from the screen , but when I take off 3d it returns. Can someone please explain what is happening here and what I'm doing wrong?

First Picture without 3d

Second Picture with 3d turned on (by pressing the cube button in the timeline panel on the "solar orb")

Thanks

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why does my sun disappear?

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm new to After Effects (1 week into learning it). I'm seeing some strange behaviour I can't explain. When I make my sun into a 3d object it disappears from the screen , but when I take off 3d it returns. Can someone please explain what is happening here and what I'm doing wrong?

First Picture without 3d

Second Picture with 3d turned on (by pressing the cube button in the timeline panel on the "solar orb")

Thanks

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 02, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long and short: You completely misunderstand how CC Sphere or whatever 3D effect you are using work. You don't enable the 3D switch, you let them render the 3D stuff inside their own little universe for which the 2D layer is merely a container/ render canvas.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your sun layer is probably behind the Camera.  Check the Position of the Camera and make sure that it's seeing the sun layer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For us to know what you did to that sun layer you need to select the layer, press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties, then embed a screenshot of the entire UI using the Toolbar. We also need to see the modified properties of the camera layer. Uploaded screenshots and cropped screenshots are a pain. When arranging 3D layers in comp space you should be using at least 2 views. Because the layer handles disappear I am assuming that the camera is not pointed at the comp center, but we can't tell because your screenshots don't show us anything at all about how you set up the comp.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the guidelines. I've been attempting to follow a youtube video - my bad!

Thanks for the "U" key stroke shortcut, very helpful. I realised that when pressing 3D it makes the shape move away from the active screen. When I zoomed out by 400% I found the shape. 

On this point I will go away and read up on this as I don't understand it: "When arranging 3D layers in comp space you should be using at least 2 views." I suspect it may be the reason why the shape moved away from the point I was looking at.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0