Highlighted

Why is my mask cut off?

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new solid layer and draw a mask with a pen tool, but the mask gets cut off on top. I can't figure out why.  Here is an image showing a problem.  Anyone know what causes it and how to fix it?

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 4.27.15 PM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why is my mask cut off?

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new solid layer and draw a mask with a pen tool, but the mask gets cut off on top. I can't figure out why.  Here is an image showing a problem.  Anyone know what causes it and how to fix it?

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 4.27.15 PM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've reached the boundaries of the layer.  That's what those little red squares show you.  BTW never upload cropped shots like that.  Upload the entire interface.  People need to see you're layers and and other possibly relevant things that you might know enough to include.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, sorry about that, here is the entire interface. What do you mean I've reached the boundaries of the layer? How do I fix that? Thank you

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.53.12 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im saying that your solid does not reach the edges of your composition.    Disable the mask (set it to none) and notice it ends right where your mask cuts off?  Those little red squares i mentioned represent the Bounding Box of your solid layer.  You need to scale up the size of your solid layer so it at least covers the entire area where you want it to be visible.  After doing that you will either need to scale down the mask or redraw it.  Or rather than rescaling and redrawing you could also add the effect CC RepeTile to your solid and try expanding the edges out but I can't tell you for sure how that may effect any future precomposing or other effects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can also copy your mask, then create a new solid and be sure to click make comp size and finally past the mask on the new solid, I think this will work because your original solid layer size is set to 100%

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I paste I end up with the same cut-off mask

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 12.00.17 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RepeTile does this

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 12.03.31 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. I see . Repetile isn't working because the mask goes right up to every edge of the shape layer so that wont work.  As for the other screenshot where you pasted and it's still cut off it is again because it's extending past the edge of the composition.  Do you see that your mask points on the top are extended into the dark grey area?  Where your map image also "cuts off"?  So, yeah, that's outside your compsition. It's normal that things outside the dimensions of your composition will not be visible.  Imagine you have a browser window open on your monitor and you drag part of it off screen and then wonder why it;s being cut off.   Or if you're painting on a canvas and you paint off the end of the canvass and then wonder why your painting got cut off.  Or if you putt a glass down half off the end of a table and it falls and you wonder what's wrong with the table.  Nothing is wrong with the table, the problem is where put the glass down.  DRILL:  your stuff is getting cut off because theres nothing there for it draw on.  The mask has to stay inside the dimensions of the solid (on the monitor, on the canvas, on the table) and inside the dimensions (bounderies) of the composition.  But you'd be doing a yourself a favor by starting the mask over from scratch on a new solid and try to grasp the concept of layer and compositioon bounderies and how you need to work within them. It's really not that difficult to understand within the context of how difficult things in AFter Effects can be to understand.  The little squares (8 of them) that outline your solid need to be in or on the dark grey border of your composition  Until you're sure you understand it make sure you tick the "make comp size" box when creating solids.  And also understand that in order for you to be able to see something it has to be within the dark grey border surrounding your composition.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's right but it's super easy to fix, simply double click on any mask path and move the mask to the right position, 

fix-mask.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I understand that.  It's still cut off if I move to the composition, sorry I took a wrong screenshot

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.42.38 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not working for me.  Perhaps my method of copying the mask is wrong? How do I copy just the mask not the whole solid with the mask?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you didn't follow my advice, you're moving the solid and not the mask, check the GIF animation below and follow exactly, you need to double click on the mask edge to see the transformation box after that you can move your mask to the right position

Note: the way you copy the mask is correct just you didn't move it in the right way

fix-mask.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
NYCat LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I didn't realize that I had to double click on the mask edge.  I was now above to move it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0