Highlighted

Will installing AE 2020 overwrite my C4D R22 files?

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the lastest version of C4D (22.116) installed. I'm concerned it'll be overwritten if I install After Effects. Is there a way to install AE without C4D?

This topic is from 9 months ago: https://support.maxon.net/kb/faq.php?id=63

There doesn't seem to be a sensible solution to this issue. I guess I have no option but to try to encrypt the C4D foler or have C4D running during the AE installation in hope that the C4D files won't be overwritten because they're in use.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

A folder is a folder and C4D is compiled in a way that it has no dependencies outside its root folder. You can rename and move it as you see fit. C4D Lite is installed in separate folders, anyway. The rest are just the usual configuration issues with AE creating its crappy specific reference to your C4D install that may mess up things, but that's easily fixable.

Mylenium

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Will installing AE 2020 overwrite my C4D R22 files?

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the lastest version of C4D (22.116) installed. I'm concerned it'll be overwritten if I install After Effects. Is there a way to install AE without C4D?

This topic is from 9 months ago: https://support.maxon.net/kb/faq.php?id=63

There doesn't seem to be a sensible solution to this issue. I guess I have no option but to try to encrypt the C4D foler or have C4D running during the AE installation in hope that the C4D files won't be overwritten because they're in use.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

A folder is a folder and C4D is compiled in a way that it has no dependencies outside its root folder. You can rename and move it as you see fit. C4D Lite is installed in separate folders, anyway. The rest are just the usual configuration issues with AE creating its crappy specific reference to your C4D install that may mess up things, but that's easily fixable.

Mylenium

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortuantely, I enacted an incredibly messy workaround before I could read your reply. It involved running C4D so its files can't be overwritten, this caused my AE installation to stop at 92% for over an hour/indefinitely. I tried launching AE to see if I would receive some sort of error message, however; AE launched without issue. Lastly, I disabled my internet connection and restart my PC. The end result is creative cloud doesn't recognize AE as being installed 🤦‍ but AE launches and works just fine (for now).

screenshot-ae-c4d.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines