Highlighted

Workflow suggestions between After Effects and Premiere Pro for 5 minute videos

Participant ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm going to be animating several 4-5 minute music videos and am looking for workflow suggestions to keep After Effects from getting bogged down.  Some of the videos will be lyric videos which rely on expressions to keep cameras and lyrics connected. In the last video I made, the project eventually became difficult to navigate, because it would take a while for After Effects to update its composition screen every time I'd click to a new place in the timeline.

Setting the viewport display to lower resolution and lower size - and using a fast draft etc would help at times, but by the time I was halfway through the video, it was a constant battle. I thought about converting all of the expressions to keyframes (and may go back and do that as an experiment to see if it speeds things up dramatically), but I wanted to retain the functionality provided by the expressions so in the end just dealt with the lag.

I was using Dynamic Link between Premiere Pro and After Effects throughout, and I considered breaking up the Premiere Pro comp into 30 - 60 second segments instead of the single 4:45 clip, but  there are many elements that get modified and re-used throughout the video - so having access to all of that in a unified project is important.

I've used proxies in the past on similar projects, and that was helpful.

Would welcome any workflow suggestions for making animation rich videos in Prem Pro and After Effects, which are sometimes expression-heavy, utilize numerous scripts, and typically run 4-5 minutes. Output is HD and I'm not usually working with 4K footage. Using lots of vector art as well as some renders from 3D programs, and typically set to music. 

Topics

Dynamic link, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Workflow suggestions between After Effects and Premiere Pro for 5 minute videos

Participant ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm going to be animating several 4-5 minute music videos and am looking for workflow suggestions to keep After Effects from getting bogged down.  Some of the videos will be lyric videos which rely on expressions to keep cameras and lyrics connected. In the last video I made, the project eventually became difficult to navigate, because it would take a while for After Effects to update its composition screen every time I'd click to a new place in the timeline.

Setting the viewport display to lower resolution and lower size - and using a fast draft etc would help at times, but by the time I was halfway through the video, it was a constant battle. I thought about converting all of the expressions to keyframes (and may go back and do that as an experiment to see if it speeds things up dramatically), but I wanted to retain the functionality provided by the expressions so in the end just dealt with the lag.

I was using Dynamic Link between Premiere Pro and After Effects throughout, and I considered breaking up the Premiere Pro comp into 30 - 60 second segments instead of the single 4:45 clip, but  there are many elements that get modified and re-used throughout the video - so having access to all of that in a unified project is important.

I've used proxies in the past on similar projects, and that was helpful.

Would welcome any workflow suggestions for making animation rich videos in Prem Pro and After Effects, which are sometimes expression-heavy, utilize numerous scripts, and typically run 4-5 minutes. Output is HD and I'm not usually working with 4K footage. Using lots of vector art as well as some renders from 3D programs, and typically set to music. 

Topics

Dynamic link, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 07, 2020 0
Guide ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would eleminate the Dynamic Link and playout the AE animation as image sequence or production video format (DNxHD, ProRes, Cineform) instead.

If your animation is expression heavy, dealing with a lot of video and 3D elements, you can only lower resolution, skip frames, fast draft to minimize preview rendering time.

Converting expressions to keyframes can take fairly long (the last time I did it, this process was running on one core only!) and there is no logic behind to skip unnecassary keyframes. As long as you want to edit, this is really not useful.

You can try to playout "shots" and do the edit in Premiere. You can also playout layerwise and do the composite in Premiere - depending on your artwork.

You can use the same method in AE working with proxies.

Also, work with precomps. Generally there is no problem to work with long comps in AE, put putting everying into one comp is senseless.

I usualy have a main comp with nothing but precomps in it (Scene1, Scene2 and so on). In those Scenes, there a several precomps, depending on the artwork. In those artwork comps, there are again several precomps, or the actual layers. Having 5 or more hierachy levels isn't unusal for me.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What expressions are you using? That is, how are you "keeping lyrics and cameras connected"? Maybe we can figure out a more effecient way to do that part.

Also, how are you using Dynamic Link? Usually, if I'm working with Premiere Pro and AE, I don't use Dynamic Link. I do my edit in Premiere and then import the Premiere Pro project into AE with AE's Import Premiere Pro Project command. That way, I have all my cuts on their own layers. I find that a lot easier to work with and a lot less resource intensive.

Also, if you have MP4 files in your project, transcoding them to ProRes will make things faster and smoother overall. That said, if you have a decent GPU and you're on Windows, the most recent public beta of AE and Premiere has hardware decoding for H.264 files that might help things be quicker too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my suggestions.

• Never use After Effects to Edit a video
  • If you use Dynamic Link to create a composition from a shot in a Premiere Pro sequence and the composition is going to get complicated and take more than a couple of seconds a frame to render, change the color and label of the shot in Premiere Pro before you replace with an AE comp, create the comp and save it, immediately return to Premiere Pro and undo the dynamic link in Premiere Pro after the comp is created, then complete the comp and render it to a visually lossless production format (NEVER MP4),  and then drop the rendered shot in the Premiere Pro sequence and place it right above the original shot
  • If you are creating lyric videos from scratch in After Effects, break up the audio track into phrases that are no longer than 8 bars of music or a sentence or two and create a new comp for each phrase, then render all of the sections and do the final edit in Premiere Pro (sounds like more work but it is more efficient and faster if you stay organized)
  • Use Adobe Audition to add markers to your audio track - they will show up in After Effects and Premiere Pro and they make editing to dialogue or music a lot easier

My typical AE comp for Dynamic Text animations / Lyric Videos is about 5 to 7 seconds. More than 90% of these projects are edited in Premiere Pro. Only a few of the very simplest comps are ever assembled in a master comp to be rendered in After Effects, and I only do that when there is no chance that the client may want changes or the audio needs to be polished. 

A screenshot I have posted many times showing how I usually set up explainer videos or music videos. This one is one of the rare cases where 3 comps were combined to make a master that was about 35 seconds long. The final edit of the 10-minute explainer video was edited in Premiere Pro from 12 AE comps that I rendered, and sound effects and the final audio polished there. There were six sets of revisions to the project but I only had to open up a couple of the AE comps to make the required changes after the audio track and graphics were modified as per client request. 

Screenshot_2020-08-19 15.56.30_36fCQ2.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0