Highlighted

Would it be smart to create an animation in 1080p and when finished scale up to 8K performance wise?

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently in the process of creating an animation that I plan to release in 8K, for it to be shown on really big screens and to be future proof. 

I understand that assets from outside of AE might not scale very nicely when changing the composition size after completion, that's why I plan on creating everything within AE itself. The animation mostly consists of very basic forms, so that shouldn't be too big of a problem. 

Now for my questions: Will it help with performance to build it in 1080p and later scale up AND might there be some problems that will pop up with this workflow that I'm not foreseeing?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

You could run into quantization issues with keyframes that could make things jittery and jumpy due to the larger distances covered. This would in turn of course also affect things like motion blur and that sort of thing. So if I were to do it, knowing that at some point it might end up as 8k I'd at least use 4k. That would also minimize the work having to tweak effects that can look totally different at different resolutions. You won't be able to avoid having to do some extra work one way or the other, but HD would really be too low.

Mylenium

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Would it be smart to create an animation in 1080p and when finished scale up to 8K performance wise?

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently in the process of creating an animation that I plan to release in 8K, for it to be shown on really big screens and to be future proof. 

I understand that assets from outside of AE might not scale very nicely when changing the composition size after completion, that's why I plan on creating everything within AE itself. The animation mostly consists of very basic forms, so that shouldn't be too big of a problem. 

Now for my questions: Will it help with performance to build it in 1080p and later scale up AND might there be some problems that will pop up with this workflow that I'm not foreseeing?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

You could run into quantization issues with keyframes that could make things jittery and jumpy due to the larger distances covered. This would in turn of course also affect things like motion blur and that sort of thing. So if I were to do it, knowing that at some point it might end up as 8k I'd at least use 4k. That would also minimize the work having to tweak effects that can look totally different at different resolutions. You won't be able to avoid having to do some extra work one way or the other, but HD would really be too low.

Mylenium

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow what Mylenium said or do all your work in 8K but use lower resolution previews. Do all your test renders in 4K. 

Comps and vectors will scale up just fine, but motion judder, stroboscopic effects, and a lot of other considerations have to be taken into account. Your project also needs to look good at 1080 because that is where most of the world will see it. Don't make the Hobbit mistake and think that high frame rates and many pixels make a better movie.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines