• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Air + New iPad (iPad 3) retina display, any idea? any one?

Mar 16, 2012 Mar 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have tried countless amount of times to turn it on, I mean, how can I run my app on the new ipad at 2048x1536, it is always scaling up the app content times 2 and if I try to scale down the whole stage >> 1 (or / 2) of course all images looks blury and horrible, any idea? any one?

something very interesting to mention is that apps made in Adobe Air looks looks slightly better on iPad2 than iPad3, because the whole content of the air app is being scaled x 2, especially on vector content like Textfields fonts, etc... this is weird, it doesn't seem to happen on native apps.

any thoughts about this?

thanks.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2012 Mar 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems hopeful that building the app with requestedDisplayResolution set to high, and using the iOS 5.1 SDK should make the new iPad know to work at 2048x1536. I'll probably test that tomorrow, but in the meantime the quality I'm seeing is already very high, and we won't feel bad if we ship the app as it stands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can u post a pix of high quolity rednering? i still stuck with very visible pixilization on edges

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This image shows text on the iPad 2 and new iPad:

http://xfiles.funnygarbage.com/~colinholgate/images/ipadtext.png

The lower, pixellated looking one, is the iPad 2. The upper, softish, but nicely antialiased one, is the new iPad. When viewed at life size the text looks pretty good. The iOS 5.1 build will hopefully keep the nice antialiasing, but sharpen the text a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so all you did is set requestedDisplayResolution to high and enabled smoothing? CPU or GPU rendering? What was canvas resolution? Aslo what font did you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was with _serif as the font. My Flash stage is 1024x768. AIR 3.2, Direct rendermode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i guess i need to try to reduce stage size maybe it will help

Whats direct render mode? Do you think there might be differenve between 3.1 and 3.2? i thought only difference is multithereted video rendering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RichardLord, I can confirm that running the identical test I posted above using AIR 3.1 but using the command line instead of Flash Builder produces a retina version of the app.  I am going to try out making a placeholder native extension and see if that will force Flash Builder to include the -platformsdk line, which I am presuming is being left out.

Thanks for the blog post.  Great info.

Adrian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adrian,

Are you seeing this problem with Flex Mobile projects where the app

compiled using the -platformsdk shows up Retina display, but the app

itself is extremely small on the screen? Or are you just using

ActionScript mobile projects?

I'm going to post this on the Flash Builder forum and see if I can get

an answer.

iBrent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success!  So after including Adobe's sample vibration Native Extension (here) in the build and setting the requestedDisplayResolution to high, I am able to use Flash Builder 4.6 to build retina enabled iPad apps.  Thanks RichardLord for the help.

iBrent, I am currently just doing an Actionscript Mobile project, not a Flex Mobile project.  But it seems that as long as there is a native extension present, it will include the -platformsdk if you have specified an SDK in the Native Extensions dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be interesting to test whether the vibrate ANE can actually vibrate the new iPad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So can I achieve this from Flash Professional 5.5?  If so can someone tell me how ?

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

My Stage is at 1024x768, set to High Res. If I import 2048px images and drop them on the timeline, and scale them down to fit,

any ideas if that will look good?

The next issue is this: Will the larger images slow down our apps? i.e will Flash be able to handle it? I'm not sure if the iPad 3 cpu is

faster, but the earlier models might take a hit.

Thanks,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just finished successfully building my first iPad3 supported app after migrating from FB4.5 and Air 2.7 to FB4.6 and AIR3.2 RC.

This also required me to update to Lion OSX in order to install the latest XCode which has iOS5.1. It was a very long day.

Our app looks great now on the new iPad, but initial performance appears to be terrible. Especially during screen transitions where I'm animating a large number of images.

The app still runs smoothly on my iPhone3GS and iPad2, so it seems that the iPad3 doesn't handle animating the larger images very well.

Also has anyone figured out how to support a 144x144 icon when you compile your app using the IDE? At the moment if I attempt to add a <image144x144>icon144.png</image144x144> tag to my -app.xml file this causes an error to be thrown when trying to build the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Setting <renderMode>gpu</renderMode> in my -app.xml file appears to have solved the performance issues I was seeing on the iPad3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we publish with a AIR3.2RC? Or do we have to wait for final release (and when does that happend?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are allowed to submit apps that use the release candidate version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Visually, my Flex app looks great on the retina screen compiled with the iOS 5.1 sdk.  Performance feels a bit slower. Unfortunately, where it was solid with the iOS sdk that comes with Flash Builder 4.6, it hard crashes (i.e. throws the user completely out of the app - no runtime error to debug) rather often under the 5.1 sdk.  Same results when using AIR 3.1 and 3.2 RC1.  So begins the testing of workarounds.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a followup on my previous post, my Flex app gets 58 fps on the iPad 2 while a user rapidly scrolls a TileList.  On the new iPad with retina compiled against the ios 5.1sdk, it gets 22.  So I'm betting AIR apps that could compete with native apps with a non-retina display are going to have a new mountain to climb.  It will be interesting to watch when Adobe releases retina updates for their own AIR apps, such as Photoshop Touch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing much in the way of a bump on the CPU at all from ipad2. Perhaps ~5% using CPU blitting. Pretty terrible being it's a landslides worth of difference between iPad1 and iPad2.

I haven't touched a single thing in my apps and the embedded font outlines are rendering much better. Although to tolerate iPad1 I had to set stage quality to low (using mostly bitmaps anyhow). My app looks pretty much identical in iPad2 and 3 side by side, except fonts are smoother on iPad3. Also, obviously, StageWebView content is much sharper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please refer : http://forums.adobe.com/message/4276097

the issue is expected to be fixed with the next release of Flash Builder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this same issue in Flash Professional. Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea when that Flash Builder release is coming? I'll bite on CS6 once that happened.. om nom nom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe it's too late but whatever : in your application.xml :

<initialWindow>

<fullScreen>true</fullScreen>

<width>1536</width>

<height>2048</height>

<renderMode>gpu</renderMode>

</initialWindow>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines