• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Debug Launcher in AIR for iOS project launches window larger than desktop

Contributor ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion is about the behaviour of ADL within Intellij IDEA.

I have already asked the question in the Intellij IDEA forum

https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/requests/1688027

but the opinion there is that this is an ADL issue not an IDE one, hence why I am here.

Basically when I run my AIR for iOS project within the IDE under emulation, ADL opens a huge window approximately twice the height of my monitor making it impossible to use the app (there are login input fields hidden "below the monitor"). I have set the window size within the IDE (Screen: 1242x2148 Full:1242x2208 ppi:401) which are supposed to be used by ADL but they seem to be ignored. I've tried adding specific options to ADL such as

-screensize 1242x2148:1242x2208

but that seems to clash with the IDE as I get an error message "-screensize already specified" and ADL does not launch.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on here with ADL?

TIA

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you choose a preset device from the list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I choose a preset smaller than my monitor from the list, the window opens at the selected size as it should. However even the preset labeled "Apple iPhone Retina" is only 640 x 920 and which is not suitable for our required 1242 x 2208. The app is an in-house one so we can specify the minimum hardware/screen size that it will run on. Unfortunately there is no iPhone 6+, 7+, 8+ preset.

Update: I have just tried the preset "Apple iPad Retina" which is 1536 x 2008:1536x2048 and the window that is opened is again absolutely huge and approximately only half of the window fits on my monitor. I'm going to put a feature request to JetBrains for more presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I have just tried the preset "Apple iPad Retina" which is 1536 x 2008:1536x2048 and the window that is opened is again absolutely huge

Unless you've specified landscape in the app descriptor It will open in portrait mode at 1536x2048 pixels - the emulator won't scale/shrink to fit your display if that's what you're expecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My monitor is 5k one so far deeper than 2048px so the window should easily fit within it. However only the top half fits in the monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been directed to this discussion

Desktop AIR Debug Launcher window size problem

where the user is experiencing a similar problem although their theory is the issue occurs when the dimensions of the window to be opened by ADL exceed that of the monitor. At that point the "ratio" is lost.

I do think it is some issue with ADL, perhaps getting the resolution wrong. After all I am trying to open a (portrait) window that is 2208px deep on a monitor that is 2880px deep so it should fit inside. However, only the top half of the window fits in. It's as if the window displays at over 4400px high!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Windows or on Mac? I assume with that display you have some higher scale setting in the display settings. Try to set it to 100% (i.e. the Windows UI will be very small) and then try again. Because usually, Windows applications will scale up by the DPI setting, meaning the original ADL window resolution might be doubled by Windows if your display scale is 200%.

I have no idea how that is handled on Mac, but I think it might be similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac and the display settings are set to default for the monitor which works absolutely fine for all applications apart from this one, so I'm loathed to change display settings just to accommodate ADL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how it works on a Mac, but on Windows this is expected behavior and not the fault of ADL. But of course its up to you how you feel about that.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I just tried scaling my display settings to the highest possible, to the point where I can only just read the text in the menus as it is so small. The ADL window now shows a lot more detail but is still only displaying say 75% of the total.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK seemed to have found a workable solution.

In Intellij IDEA I set both the ADL window dimensions to 50% of the phone size AND set the resolution to 50% too.

So if the actual numbers for an iPhone 8 Plus are

1242px x 2148px @401 ppi

I set the run configuration to

621 x 1074 @200 ppi

This produces a window that fits on my monitor and retains the proportions of the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>I'm on a Mac and the display settings are set to default for the monitor which works absolutely fine for all applications apart from this one, so I'm loathed to change display settings just to accommodate ADL!

I'm sure Apple will add application level scaling eventually, but there is a third party app which will allow you to do this:

SwitchResX - The Most Versatile Tool For Controlling Screen Resolutions On Your Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank You for your query!

You may use the tags specified in Adobe AIR * Setting desktop application properties to limit the size of the initial window.

Suggested tags: height, width, maxSize, minSize.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the values in the application descriptor file seems to make no difference. It's as though they are ignored.

Does it matter that this is an AIR for iOS project not an AIR for Desktop one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines